Carrot Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
Hello,

Well, I did it tonight. I opened up a carrot wine that I bottled way back at the end of October last year. It was aged since then in a beer-bottle (St. Pauli Girl beer, by the way).

It was very smooth, and sweeter than expected, but still very young. I think this one will have to age over a year to be somewhat good, although it shows promise now.

This is one veggie wine (sorry, I know not fruit, as in the topic, but what the hey) I could recommend for those who like unusual, yet smooth white wines.

Yes, you heard correctly, it's a white. No hint of orange anywhere. I will post some pics when I get a chance.

Sounds good Martina. Did you leave it too sweet? It will never get any less sweet. You might decide to blend it with something dry. Beet?

Hahaha, no, this one is actually okay the way it is....

Strange for me, I know.... But it's so smooth! Maybe that's what you were talking about smooth, and I mean soft... It's like what velvet would taste like, I think.

The weird thing is, is that i fermented it down to 0.990, and it was rock solid at that point for a couple of months. The same thing happened with my juniper wine. And that one is sickly sweet.

Don't ask me why, but it is that way.
smiley36.gif

The mellowing and aging process has fooled you into thinking your wines are sweet. You are used to drinking dry wines.

Why has it fooled me into thinking they are sweet? The really do taste quite sweet to me.

Will they dry up later?

Sometimes that just happens when your palate gets used to drinking very dry wines. The floral bouquet and fruit profile fool you into thinking it is sweet. Also of sweet wine drinkers love dry Gewurtztraminer because they think it also is sweet.

Martina is a homewinemaker's homewinemaker. She loves to experiment and try new thangs and do thangs her way. She loves to make wine from other than ordinary ingredients. We should all be so brave!

smiley32.gif

Yes, but may I add that Glenvall is the one to go to if you want to make a good wine. His expertise in the amount of what goes into things, which yeasts are better, and filters, and sulphites and pH... The list is endless.

He makes some damn good wine.

Ah come on now. I read the same books as everyone else.

smiley9.gif
Edited by: Country Wine

Well, in any case, I give credit to CJJ Berry and Glenvall for all my winemaking skills.

I'd have been lost without both of them.
smiley1.gif

But it really is true, Glenvall. If I couldn't find the answer, I'd ask you and you said "Well, eet's laaahk thayyyyyt. Orrrrrrrr laaaahk thees"

And you were right!

Plus, you're more fun to talk to than CJJ Berry.

LMAO! You just about have that twang down, at least in writing. I wish I was really that good.

Martina, that's an interesting wine-"Carrots" Being that I occasionally use the "Juice-man" machine to make juice using carrots and apples combined (quite good)...instead of throwing out the remains, I am wondering about using those for wine?....any thoughts?

Good question Joe, I have a juice man or two under the counter myself, but I wonder if that would be a good way to prepare some fruits and veggys, not just the leftovers but use the juice too?

Well pressing "hard-type" foods like carrots and such is almost impossible when it comes to pressing, I really think that it's a great advantage in the process of having the juice first hand, also combined with the "mash"...if you wanted to deal with the end product in your wine as well. Comparing all products to like..tomato juice..tomato sauce..tomato puree...tomato paste...and, tomato whole. I personally see no difference other than time. (other than keeping in mind the improved aromas, etc. using the product itself, in addition to the juice you speak of, better yet I would think)
smiley1.gif
Edited by: Maui Joe

I wouldn't de-juice them and use the pulp in wine. You're looking at a very thin wine then. Think about what you're doing when you de-juice them. The name says it all. Have you ever tasted the de-juiced leftovers? Tastes like straw, not that I have ever tried that.

I usually cook the amount of carrots in a certain amount of water. You can slice them. The water that's left over is used in that recipe. You can use the carrots in meals -- but I tend to freeze the cooked carrots, so I don't have to use 10 pounds in a meal. My husband wouldn't go for that. Neither would I.

But the carrot-juice wine is certainly worth trying. I would maybe make a couple of batches with different amount of carrot juice, since I could imagine that it would be more potent than my variant.

If you'd like, I could post the recipe I used.

Hope this helps

Sounds very interesting, I love carrots, not alone, or as a meal in itself. I would try the recipe...is it for a one (1) gallon?

Latest posts

Back