Initial SG too high?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillbillyTom

Junior
Reaction score
Back to my 3-gallon Raspberry batch...I mixed the recipe to the letter. However, my initial SG was 1.100 and not the 1.080 that I had expected. Maybe the fruit had more sugar and I could have added less. But the recipe called for dissolving the sugar in hot water and then pouring over my bag of mashed berries.No way to take sugar out at that point and could not dilute or the primary would have been too full with no head space.

#1. Should I have done something differently? Taken out some juice and diluted to 1.080?

#2. Am I going to have issues and have I ruined the batch?

Thanks for any help.

Never add sugar without SG reading. Fruits differ in sugar content. It is why I don't do recipes. No one can be correct every time. You may end up with a higher ABV than you would like. Fix is to get more berries and make a bigger batch. How bad is it to fix it you have to make more LOLOLOL

mmadmikes1...Thanks! I don't mind the higher alcohol just wanted to be sure I hadn't ruined 10 pounds of berries. And thanks for the advice! I'm going to let it rock on and next time use your tip on adding the sugar. Love the learning curve!!!

Back to my 3-gallon Raspberry batch...I mixed the recipe to the letter. However, my initial SG was 1.100 and not the 1.080 that I had expected. Maybe the fruit had more sugar and I could have added less.

Exactly the reason why I always state that recipes will not work.

Add your SG the alcohol percentage will be higher as expected, it will be at 13%.

Dilluting now will also dillute flavor unless you are able to add more raspberries. Adding raspberries and dilluting would be an option.

You can also let it go and blend it later with a neutral wine.

Luc

Thanks Luc. As a beginner I thought a recipe would be the way to go. Now that I have muddled through the first try (and with advice from folks like you and the ones above) I know the recipe can only be a guide. Live and Learn! Thanks again!

So a quick update. After four days of lively fermentation in my primary, my first batch seems to be coming along nicely. The SG is now down to 1.030 (from the initial 1.100) and it is actully developing a decent aroma. Thanks again for all the advice on my first try and looking forward to the first racking this weekend.

I typically add about 75% of the sugar that I think it may need (according to a recipe). Then slowly stir in more sugar and check the SG until it hits the desired spot. You will get used to how much it takes over time per wine and wine batch size. It will vary some, but starting low will make sure you don't go over. Another good tip, stir very good. If you don't sugar will settle at the bottom and your reading will be off.

Back