Wine Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watisgoood

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to making wine from juice.

Question about bottling, is it possible to bottle using store bought wine bottles?

Thanks,
-J

Welcome to the forum. Yes you can. I have my friends save their wine bottles for me. I have acquired hundreds of bottles over a short time.

Like Tom said, don't try to use the screw top bottles. Unfortunately, lots more wine is coming in screw tops.

Why the gripe about screw tops?

I use nothing but screw tops now as I find corking a bother! I find they are perfectly adequate. I do use rather larger than normal bottles and to finish a whole bottle would be a challenge. :sh Cheers, :sm Tony. :r

Lurve those smilies !

The key to using "recycled bottles" is to clean them right away. If you let the last dribbles of wine go sour in the bottle and mold sets in and everything dries up crusty, it isn't worth the trouble. If you rinse the bottles well after you empty them and then let them drip dry, they can be cleaned and sanitized for your next batch. Search through the forums and you'll find all kinds of advice on removing labels.

Welcome to the forum. Yes you can. I have my friends save their wine bottles for me. I have acquired hundreds of bottles over a short time.

Like Tom said, don't try to use the screw top bottles. Unfortunately, lots more wine is coming in screw tops.

Anyone happen to know the size of corks for these bottles?

Thanks!

I also use a #9 X 1 3/4 although a #9 X 1 1/2 will work too. Good Luck!!

I use nothing but screw tops now as I find corking a bother! I find they are perfectly adequate. I do use rather larger than normal bottles and to finish a whole bottle would be a challenge. :sh Cheers, :sm Tony. :r

Lurve those smilies !

They are talking about corking a screwtop bottle. These bottles are thinner and you are taking a chance of cracking the bottle when placing the cork.

They are talking about corking a screwtop bottle. These bottles are thinner and you are taking a chance of cracking the bottle when placing the cork.

Why would you want to use screw bottles? Also, so for regular store bought wine that was corked I use the following corks?

9 X 1 3/4 cork

Thanks! I just want to confirm before I order. Also, does anyone have any sites for buying?

I wish I could. You're probably better off buying locally. You'll have the tax, but you'll avoid the shipping charge.

Used bottles like everyone said are ok, but look out for those new thinner bottles that may not be strong enough for a hand corker. Oh like they said stay away from screw tops. Sometimes local wineries will sell used bottle for around six bucks.

Used bottles like everyone said are ok, but look out for those new thinner bottles that may not be strong enough for a hand corker. Oh like they said stay away from screw tops. Sometimes local wineries will sell used bottle for around six bucks.

Six bucks? I hope that's a dozen! Hell I could buy a ton of 2 buck chuck for that price :0

Yeah it was 6 for used and 12 for new the last time we went there. That was Adams County Winery in Gettysburg Pa. Just check around your area. Those that have free tastings will have a lot of bottles.

Latest posts

Back