Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Yeast, Additives & Wine Making Science > MLF - coinocculation versus post-AF innoculation

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:59 AM   #41
Smok1

May 2017
Liked 178 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sorry one more question, so if i choose to co-inoculate, i still crush my grapes and add kmeta to 50ppm? Wait 24 hours, pitch yeast, then pitch mlf? Or do i need to skip the so2 if i inoculate same time as yeast?

Old 09-22-2017, 08:02 AM   #42
geek

Sep 2012
Liked 1170 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 1919

I wouldn't skip the k-meta, the addition will help prevent any wild yeast becoming active.

Don Amado Cellars

Old 09-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #43
Ajmassa5983

Oct 2016
Liked 570 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 352

Dude, your asking some good questions. Seems like every one is gray, with many discussions had in the past.
But yes, they say adding up to 50ppm at crush is fine to protect, kill wild yeast, yet still not inhibit MLF. Different strains are more so2 tolerant than others. I've been adding none at all, co-inoculating, and it might sound crazy but I'm 12 days in and it's already arguably finished.
But I think that was my last "no so2 addition" ever. It's Nerve racking. My juice bucket took off before I even touched it, and they both finished short of being fully dry.
I don't blame the co-inoculation tho. I blame the no so2 indirectly. Which rushed me to add enzymes and get started instead of properly adjusting ph and dialing the must in 1st.
If I had a "do-over" I'd add maybe 25-30 ppm, and do my adjustments and still co-inoculate 24-48 hrs after yeast. I think my high ph stressed the AF.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:42 PM   #44
4score

Apr 2013
Liked 186 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac60 View Post
Thanks 4score, What type do you recommend for Zins and Cabs
CH16 and VP41 are ones we've used for those. Also Enoferm Beta.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #45
skeenatron

Jan 2010
Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeenatron View Post
I do about 45 different lots of red each year and have had all kinds of MLF results using CH16 bacteria and various yeasts. I've always added bacteria after primary and sometimes it takes off really well and is finished in a week or two. Sometimes it takes two months. Sometimes it never takes off and I have to heat up the barrels and reinoculate. At the end of the day the results have always been fine, although there's always better barrels than others. Hard to pin it on MLF though.

This year I am going to do a lot of 1/2 regular (post-primary) bacteria inoculation, and 1/2 co-fermentation. I'm hoping I can get quicker, smoother MLFs out of the co-fermentations. I'm in the process of checking my yeasts for compatibility. I'll be sure to post the results later in the season.
Well here are the early results on the side by side, early bacterial inoculation for MLF. These wines have all been pressed and are in the barrel. No sulfur added as neither primary nor secondary fermentations are finished.

Glucose + Fructose (g/100mL)

Walla Walla Merlot no bacteria - 0.003
Walla Walla Merlot early inoculation bacteria - 0.006

Yakima Valley Syrah no bacteria - 0.007
Yakima Valley Syrah early inoculation bacteria - 0.011

Malic acid (g/L)

Walla Walla Merlot no bacteria - 1.061
Walla Walla Merlot early inoculation bacteria - .120

Yakima Valley Syrah no bacteria - 1.335
Yakima Valley Syrah early inoculation bacteria - 0.279

I have three more lots going through the same treatment but the early results are clear. Early MLF inoculation is rad. I have seen no signs of acetic acid production or stank aromas. All yeast and bacterial strains were screened for co-fermentation compatibility beforehand and bacteria was added at about 18 brix. So far I'm sold.

People Like This 
Old 10-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #46
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015
Liked 2197 Times on 1219 Posts
Likes Given: 1544

Quote:
Well here are the early results on the side by side, early bacterial inoculation for MLF. These wines have all been pressed and are in the barrel. No sulfur added as neither primary nor secondary fermentations are finished.

Glucose + Fructose (g/100mL)

Walla Walla Merlot no bacteria - 0.003
Walla Walla Merlot early inoculation bacteria - 0.006

Yakima Valley Syrah no bacteria - 0.007
Yakima Valley Syrah early inoculation bacteria - 0.011

Malic acid (g/L)

Walla Walla Merlot no bacteria - 1.061
Walla Walla Merlot early inoculation bacteria - .120

Yakima Valley Syrah no bacteria - 1.335
Yakima Valley Syrah early inoculation bacteria - 0.279

I have three more lots going through the same treatment but the early results are clear. Early MLF inoculation is rad. I have seen no signs of acetic acid production or stank aromas. All yeast and bacterial strains were screened for co-fermentation compatibility beforehand and bacteria was added at about 18 brix. So far I'm sold.
Having been inoculating early with great succes, it's nice to see some empirical evidence, thanks for taking the time to provide your numbers.

Although the difference is insignificant, I note that the sugars are just a smidge higher in the co-inoculated batches vs the ones that were not inoculated. It'll be interesting to see if that holds true across your sampling batches...........

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

heatherd Likes This 
Old 10-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #47
skeenatron

Jan 2010
Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts

Yeah true they technically are a hair higher currently but since I fermented and pressed the lots individually it could have been a number of factors. Also all the sugar numbers are so close to bone dry anyway it doesn't really matter. The fact that the early inoculation didn't stall anything was very nice to see. Consider me converted John haha!

Old 10-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #48
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015
Liked 2197 Times on 1219 Posts
Likes Given: 1544

Quote:
Yeah true they technically are a hair higher currently but since I fermented and pressed the lots individually it could have been a number of factors. Also all the sugar numbers are so close to bone dry anyway it doesn't really matter. The fact that the early inoculation didn't stall anything was very nice to see. Consider me converted John haha!
Agreed, not significant differences in the sugars, but still interesting, we'll see if it holds up.

Glad your early inoculation trials went well. After a ton of reading before giving it a try, and although some of the more technical aspects were challenging to my engineering (non-biology/chemistry) brain, the positives out weighed the negatives. It seemed that as long as the must numbers were in line, and one uses a good / compatible yeast and mlb, nutrient protocol, they can perform their roles in favorable conditions, and concurrently.

Be watching to see how the rest of your concurrent inoculations go, as well as the sequential ones, please keep us posted.......

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM   #49
ceeaton
In my terrible twos of wine making

Feb 2015
Liked 2348 Times on 1334 Posts
Likes Given: 2565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnd View Post

Be watching to see how the rest of your concurrent inoculations go, as well as the sequential ones, please keep us posted.......
Yes, this is a very interesting thread. Keep it up guys, learning can be fun!

Thank you @skeenatron for taking the time to post your numbers.