Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Country Fruit Winemaking > pressure cooker wine

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #11
Grod

Sep 2016
Likes Given: 1

correct, i was was more curious to hear what people had to say about using a pressure cooker to sterilize Vs. chemical additions. what im going to do with it later needs no further discussion. although its not distilling its "cold extraction" and it 100% legal and done with ice beers all of the time

Old 09-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #12
sour_grapes
Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Sep 2013
Liked 3380 Times on 2138 Posts
Likes Given: 3681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
correct, i was was more curious to hear what people had to say about using a pressure cooker to sterilize Vs. chemical additions. what im going to do with it later needs no further discussion. although its not distilling its "cold extraction" and it 100% legal and done with ice beers all of the time
Grod, please knock it off. It is legal in the US to freeze concentrate beer a de minimis amount (0.5%). https://www.ttb.gov/rulings/94-3.htm

It is NOT legal to freeze-concentrate wine, etc.

People Like This 
Old 09-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #13
Scooter68
Still getting started at 20 batches & 2 years

Aug 2015
Liked 468 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour_grapes View Post
Great link. Think that pretty much covers the issue.

Now back to making wine. And it's about time to rack my 3 gallon peach batch & couple of my smaller batches. Also picked up some pasteurized but no-additive Apple Cider the other day to blend with my own apples for a couple more gallons of Apple wine.

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

heatherd Likes This 
Old 09-21-2017, 05:41 PM   #14
Grod

Sep 2016
Likes Given: 1

You guys are the ones hijacking my thread... stop talking about that one small detail about what will happen at the end, it can be omitted and not change the subject. Can we not talk about your peach cider in my thread unless you brewed it in a pressure cooker?can we talk about wine in a pressure cooker?No one has anything to say about that?completely normal...

Old 09-24-2017, 05:49 AM   #15
Stressbaby
Just a Member

Aug 2012
Liked 476 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
You guys are the ones hijacking my thread... stop talking about that one small detail about what will happen at the end, it can be omitted and not change the subject. Can we not talk about your peach cider in my thread unless you brewed it in a pressure cooker?can we talk about wine in a pressure cooker?No one has anything to say about that?completely normal...
Well, it's not really "pressure cooker wine." You assembled your must, canned it, then dumped it back into a carboy. You could accomplish the same thing by pouring boiling water over everything or even using a preferment dose of KMS.

I made fig wine last year, 6#/gallon, 1/2tsp tannin. It took 2tsp of citric/tartaric to get the pH from 6.06 to 3.64. It was decent at bottling but the first bottle was super foul and nasty, almost feculent. I'll leave the rest for few months but if no better at that time - down the drain.