barrel decision

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgentile

Still learning
Reaction score
Considering one of two choices, a Vadai 13.2 gl Hungarian oak for $259.99 from online source or a 15 gl American oak for $315.00 from local grape source.

Any pluses or minuses with either choice?

If you mean by "local grape source" a local brick and mortar store, and assuming all else is essentially equal-"ish", then I say support your local business owner and buy locally.

Otherwise, I would personally want know more details, such as the stave thickness of each, especially if they differ, to make a judgment. Also consider that the different oaks species in each barrel will create a different wine.

Last edited:
I would rather support local myself, need to get more info on the local barrel. I guess I need to do more research on the difference between american and hungarian oak and their affects on wines or the recommended wines for each.

Get 1 each... Then you'll know which is better and by then I should be moved and close enough to come pick up the other one. Preferably with wine in it.
Who loves like Uncle Tom?
Cheers

I have used many barrels over the years.... No substitute for the great taste of an American Oak! Vadai has a great price point but not near American Oak. I have come to enjoy American Oak over French much better....

Get 1 each... Then you'll know which is better and by then I should be moved and close enough to come pick up the other one. Preferably with wine in it.
Who loves like Uncle Tom?
Cheers

Sounds like a plan Uncle Tom, what type of wine would you prefer?

I have used many barrels over the years.... No substitute for the great taste of an American Oak! Vadai has a great price point but not near American Oak. I have come to enjoy American Oak over French much better....

Thanks @sdelli, I was hoping to hear this.

My $.02, I prefer European oak. I have 10 Vadai barrels. In my experience it is subtler in the short term and mellows the way I like it. I'd use more French if I could afford them. Others as noted by sdelli, prefer American.

So, Tom is right, you need to try for yourself.

My $.02, I prefer European oak. I have 10 Vadai barrels. In my experience it is subtler in the short term and mellows the way I like it. I'd use more French if I could afford them. Others as noted by sdelli, prefer American.

So, Tom is right, you need to try for yourself.

Interesting....thanks

Latest posts

Back