Other Vacuum pump for degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manelson

Junior
Reaction score
I just purchased a vacuum pump for degassing and tried my first batch today. So much better and faster then my drill lol. My question is how long should I have it on. I tried abt 15 min. Foamed at first but then bubbled away. Bubbles did get bigger so I figured it was done . I was drawing abt 27 for 15 min. Thanks

Thats too much. When you see the large bubbles you should stop ~ 30 secs later. About 5 mins max is all it takes.

If you transfer with the pump you won't need to degas. It will remove the CO2 during transfer.

That's not necessarily true. I have a vacuum system that I rack with through a 5/8" line and it doesn't nearly take out enough C02. I still have to degas with my vacuum system.

That's not necessarily true. I have a vacuum system that I rack with through a 5/8" line and it doesn't nearly take out enough C02. I still have to degas with my vacuum system.

That is correct ! - The bigger the ID of the tubing the moe volume being transferred and the less inches of vacuum that will be produced.

That is the same example how some can transfer into demijohns or into barrels.

27" of vacuum seems a little high to me, not an expert though. I degass at 19-20" of vacuum, sometimes only 10 min, other times 30 min. It all depends on the wine. Roy

I degas all of my wines using a vacuum pump, and regularly pull vacuums of 27+ inHg with no problems. It typically takes just a few minutes to degas a wine.

Thanks for all the advice and help. I cannot believe I did not go this way much sooner. It actually makes the degassing process fun. lol

Thanks for all the advice and help. I cannot believe I did not go this way much sooner. It actually makes the degassing process fun. lol

Yes, it is kinda fun, welcome to the vacuum degassing club!!! No more fighting spoons, drills, hand pumps, and wondering if you're done. You'll also find, on average, that when you degas, add your chems and clearing agents, your wine will clear much more quickly and thoroughly. But remember, if you're trying to make big hearty reds, they will not be ready to drink any sooner, but they will clear very nicely.

Here is the vacuum pump I used to make my transfer/degas system. Works like a champ!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the vacuum pump I used to make my transfer/degas system. Works like a champ!

Is your setup kinda like what we see in this Youtube video?

Looks that the pump will do up to 18" or Mercury, you apparently find that sufficient for degassing, right?

How long do you figure the pump will last.. eg. how many batches do you figure you'll be able to degas before the pump burns out?

What do you use for your power supply?

Thanx...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ikSGGa53g4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ikSGGa53g4[/ame]

Yeah, pretty much identical.
The pump is pretty stout. Its the same one in a FoodSaver machine. As long as you have some air getting to it, mine is in a plastic project box with holes drilled in it for air circulation.

This is the power supply.

To degas, I use a bung with the tube shoved in the hole. You have to be careful with a full carboy, it will suck the crap out of it. I keep my hand on the bung and release pressure when it starts climbing up the neck. I do recommend a blow-by canister to collect any liquid or foam, you don't want liquid getting to the pump. I usually don't let it get that far, its just another mess to clean up.

PS - I wouldn't use it on a plastic carboy.

Latest posts

Back