Jalapeno Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack Kellers recipes seem to always be short on the amount of fruit to use. Just FYI

I also made an apple wine then at bottling added 1/2 a jalapeño pepper to the bottle with 2-3 seeds. It had an immediate apple taste with a slight kick in the end. (not literally though).

As with age this version softened which was wasn't what we anticipated. Just polished the last one of that batch. Like I said time to make more.

D.J.
Mine cleared on its own. Took a long time, tho. Didn't think it was going to then went to the basement one day and it was clear. Arne.

Oh shoot - when do I take my first reading? Before or after the pectic enzyme? I just got it together and in the primary. It says to wait 12 hrs before adding the pectic enzyme, but is 10 1/2 ok? Or should I wait until 15 hrs? Darn work!

Oh shoot - when do I take my first reading? Before or after the pectic enzyme? I just got it together and in the primary. It says to wait 12 hrs before adding the pectic enzyme, but is 10 1/2 ok? Or should I wait until 15 hrs? Darn work!

After will be fine. Just dont want to do it after ferment starts. The longer the pectic sits the more it helps so if you can wait it won't hurt.

Wine making does have some latitude. You don't have to be on a strict time table but be aware of it.

Pectic enzyme breaks down the cell membrane releasing the juice making it easier for yeasts to feed upon it. It also breaks down a possible haze which may occur in some juices.

It doesn't work during fermentation but doesn't stop the moment you add yeast. It begins to slow at that time but will continue working on a haze if any afterwards.

I add my pectic enzyme after my must is all created if I'm starting from scratch or when I open my juice bucket. I check ph sometimes if its from a different region and I will indicate gravity. Yeast nutrient is added then all gently stirred and allowed to sit for 12+ hours.

Then add yeast. No need to set your alarm clock however you should look ahead a week which is my normal fermentation completion time. If I am going to be busy then I will wait a day or two if I can before starting.

I tasted it and took a reading this morning (1.09)when I put in the pectic enzyme. It has NO heat. If i add more peppers, do I need to add some more pectic enzyme and wait or just add the yeast?

Jack Kellers recipes seem to always be short on the amount of fruit to use. Just FYI
I also made an apple wine then at bottling added 1/2 a jalapeño pepper to the bottle with 2-3 seeds. It had an immediate apple taste with a slight kick in the end. (not literally though).

As with age this version softened which was wasn't what we anticipated. Just polished the last one of that batch. Like I said time to make more.

I have heard that about Keller's recipes. I figured with 1 gal. of straight apple juice, I should be good to go. Will backsweeten some when its done.

I tasted it and took a reading this morning (1.09)when I put in the pectic enzyme. It has NO heat. If i add more peppers, do I need to add some more pectic enzyme and wait or just add the yeast?

Just keep going as is, mine had no heat either when I first started it out. Took until almost completely dry (4 days) to start "heating" up.

Finally got back on after moving. As soon as I find corks for the smaller bottles, I'll be bottling the Serrano wine. It turned out AMAZING! I will definitely be making this wine again! My Blueberry and Raspberry wines also turned out great! I'm looking for the beginning of fruit and veggie season to start more wines.

Back