Run Away fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcivic

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Guys, This is my first year making wine. I'm attempting to ferment 12 gallons of gewurztraminer. I did an initial test of the juice I got Brix 23 and TA 0.7% must temp. is 23 degrees celsius. I then proceeded to add a 50ppm dose of potassium metabisulfite and added a yeast starter solution 1 hour later. Everything went well.

day2: Brix dropped to 21 must temp. is 23 degrees celsius
day3: brix dropped to 8! must temp shot up to 26 degrees celsuis.

A Loss of 12 degrees in one day! I tried my best to cool it down but the damage is done. has this ever happened to anyone? if so how did the wine end up tasting at the end?

I've had some large drops (8 or more) in brixs overnight, never 12 which does seem like a lot. I assume you rechecked the brix. The remaining brix may take one or two more days, which would give you a 4 or 5 day fermentation. This should be fine for a white wine. If it were a red wine then 4 days is not enough to give a deep color. I think you should be fine. What type of yeast did you use? Did you use any type of yeast nutrient?

I've had some large drops (8 or more) in brixs overnight, never 12 which does seem like a lot. I assume you rechecked the brix. The remaining brix may take one or two more days, which would give you a 4 or 5 day fermentation. This should be fine for a white wine. If it were a red wine then 4 days is not enough to give a deep color. I think you should be fine. What type of yeast did you use? Did you use any type of yeast nutrient?

Hi Winemaker, thanks for the info! I used Yeast Strain W0207 specifically created for spicy white wines. I did not use any type of yeast nutrient.. I guess this is a very aggressive strain.

Latest posts

Back