New Wine Room

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John, I have to disagree with your understanding of the word, 'cobble.' Nice job!

Latest addition to the wine room. This morning I was able to cobble together a two bottle wide rack to the left of the work counter and sink, not much material left now. We’re good for another 4 cases of wine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest addition to the wine room. This morning I was able to cobble together a two bottle wide rack to the left of the work counter and sink, not much material left now. We’re good for another 4 cases of wine.

View attachment 58323
@Johnd Nice wine room, indeed! What information to you include on your wine bottle tags? Mark

@Johnd Nice wine room, indeed! What information to you include on your wine bottle tags? Mark

Thanks! On the tags, I include the vintage year at the very top, the drinking window immediately below that, the rating (if applicable) on the left, and the winery / wine info at the bottom. Attached a pic for reference.

1AF8B51E-517B-466D-9A03-7CAD996F09AA.jpeg

Walked into the wine room this afternoon to find this nearly dry wine mess on the floor. Thought it was the new barrel, but upon further inspection, it was clean. Moved on to looking at the bottom wines in the rack, they were all stuff I’d made. I figured it was likely that my run of never having a bottle bomb was over, so I started pulling bottles. It wasn’t down there, I was following a wine trail that had run down the back wall, up past my wines. Kept going up, past the Del Dotto’s, past the Rivers-Marie, crap, up to the diamonds.
CD25997C-5F26-4B56-A438-84238D9C5904.jpeg
But of course, all the way at the top, started pulling the Venge Silencieux out of the diamond.
DF2D4D68-F405-4781-A35D-38980FD5B1B9.jpeg
Of course, the second to last bottle from the bottom of the diamond. Ever seen the bottom just pop off of a bottle, much less one so thick? No obvious flaws in the bottle that I could see. Oh well, time to pull out the mop and sponge. Happy Friday....

5A952468-73A1-4A37-89D1-7A9D5DFF43AE.jpeg

Too much weight on top? Never seen anything like that happen on my racks but they are only stacked 4 high on the very top rack.

You have some stacked 6-7 high looks like?

Kept going up, past the Del Dotto’s, past the Rivers-Marie, crap, up to the diamonds.
But of course, all the way at the top, started pulling the Venge Silencieux out of the diamond.
Of course, the second to last bottle from the bottom of the diamond. Ever seen the bottom just pop off of a bottle, much less one so thick? No obvious flaws in the bottle that I could see. Oh well, time to pull out the mop and sponge. Happy Friday....

@Johnd is that a one-off bottle or do you have multiples? Just thinking you may want to pull a cork if there are other bottles of the same wine. That's unfortunate, I've also never seen anything happen like that.

Too much weight on top? Never seen anything like that happen on my racks but they are only stacked 4 high on the very top rack.

You have some stacked 6-7 high looks like?

Thought the same, but looked around, I have some racks totally full with 25 bottles, also Bordeaux bottles, und less than half the thickness of the one that broke. This was a seriously thick bottle. Must’ve had some inherent defect in the glass, that’s all I can think. Temps haven’t changed in the room in years.

@Johnd is that a one-off bottle or do you have multiples? Just thinking you may want to pull a cork if there are other bottles of the same wine. That's unfortunate, I've also never seen anything happen like that.
Plenty more, it’s one of twelve. I pulled the capsule off of the bottle, looked normal, pulled the cork, no obvious issues there either. I’m guessing just an anomaly.

A moment of silence, please. I had this happen to one bottle when I moved my cellar from Montana to Washington. I lost three cases because a stack tumbled but oddly, had one bottle inexplicably blow the bottom out like yours. The blowout happened a week after I moved.

You’ll likely never know the reason.

Looks like a commercial bottle, no telling how it was handled prior to you getting it, sorry to hear.

Fred,

Didn't you have that happen to a carboy? @Johnd : gotta believe that's a bottle that just slipped through QA and had a flaw. As @stickman said, may want to pop the cork on another and examine it. What the heck, it's Saturday, right?

Latest posts

Back