RJ Spagnols another stuck port style kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving everyone....ok here`s my situation ,started a rjs black forest port style kit on 11/20,SG was 1.120 temp was 71....my plan was to step feed corn sugar in 3 steps of 300 grams apiece...first one was at day 5,gravity was 1.045 before the feeding...after it ,rose to 1.054 ,76 degrees....day 6 (here is where the problem begins)gravity was 1.022 temp 74,gave another feeding PLUS 3 tsp of fermax warmed up in a shot glass with water.gravity rose to 1.030 put on my brew belt....FELL ASLEEP,woke up left for work came home the primary was 86 degrees...day 7 gravity was 1.030(didn`t move over night) added the last feeding (why) rose to 1.036(belt was removed)...over the next 2 days not much action going on...and the gravity dropped .002 both days....so I think I`m stuck,never happened to me before....I`m thinking I have 2 options...try to restart the fermentation or go the way of a port...lol...I just racked it into a 3 gallon carboy,it`s up to the shoulder ...for protection...get a bubble every 20 seconds or so...tasted it, fizz on your tongue ,doesn`t taste spoiled,but doesn`t taste good either...so I need some help or suggestions....Thanks Rick :?

Ricky said:
Happy Thanksgiving everyone....ok here`s my situation ,started a rjs black forest port style kit on 11/20,SG was 1.120 temp was 71....my plan was to step feed corn sugar in 3 steps of 300 grams apiece...first one was at day 5,gravity was 1.045 before the feeding...after it ,rose to 1.054 ,76 degrees....day 6 (here is where the problem begins)gravity was 1.022 temp 74,gave another feeding PLUS 3 tsp of fermax warmed up in a shot glass with water.gravity rose to 1.030 put on my brew belt....FELL ASLEEP,woke up left for work came home the primary was 86 degrees...day 7 gravity was 1.030(didn`t move over night) added the last feeding (why) rose to 1.036(belt was removed)...over the next 2 days not much action going on...and the gravity dropped .002 both days....so I think I`m stuck,never happened to me before....I`m thinking I have 2 options...try to restart the fermentation or go the way of a port...lol...I just racked it into a 3 gallon carboy,it`s up to the shoulder ...for protection...get a bubble every 20 seconds or so...tasted it, fizz on your tongue ,doesn`t taste spoiled,but doesn`t taste good either...so I need some help or suggestions....Thanks Rick :?

It's possible that the higher temperature combined with the SG and alcohol level was too much too handle. If the SG is still dropping, then it is not technically stuck. The easiest thing to try to do would be masking a yeast starter with EC-1118 (it probably is the same yeast used or something really close) and feed it a little to build it up. You can also add brandy to the appropriate alcohol level you want and then add the f-pack.

I would pour back to primary and add more EC-1118 and yeast nutrient, with a brew belt. I also wrap mine with a few towels and put the brew belt on a timer. One hour on, one hour off. Takes a minute to program it, but worth the time. Like SC said, it's probably not stuck yet, but close. That's what I would do if it were mine.

Latest posts

Back