Vacuum degassing - How much vacuum should I pull and why

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't figure it all out, studying the web page. No offense to the seller, but the elegance of the All-In-One had me from hello. Using mine again this weekend to rack a few batches and bottle one batch. May come up a bottle short by the time Saturday is over. :d

No offense taken ;) We welcome all comments and suggestions. That's what make us better and better.

We did get some feedback from our customers asking for a ready to use vacuum station housing. That's why we developed it and the first batch is on its way to us.

Cheers,

Just one more question, after watching your video what is up with having to build up pressure in the empty carboy and shutting off the vacuum pump and opening the valve? Is the pump not powerful enough to run constantly and provide a stable vacuum?

Back to vacuum gassing for a minute. If you have a vacuum pump (electrically powered) I recommend spash racking.

Just one more question, after watching your video what is up with having to build up pressure in the empty carboy and shutting off the vacuum pump and opening the valve? Is the pump not powerful enough to run constantly and provide a stable vacuum?

The assembly process is very simple and takes less than 10 minutes. I will make an unboxing and assembly video when I get a chance. I will also convert the manuals into website format and post it online.

Closing the degassing inline valve at the beginning ensures that every drop of wine is exposed to constant vacuum pressure. If you watched the video closely you can see how powerful the vacuum has been built up when the valve is opened.
http://youtu.be/NLqUKkZLCQw?t=18s

Our vacuum pump is strong enough to hold a constant and stable vacuum pressure. As stated in my video, you can, but don't “have to” close and open the valve during the degassing process. The inline valve gives you the option to let wine expose to the vacuum pressure longer if you happen to have a very "gassy" batch.
Cheers,

Last edited:
Thanks for your time, after examining all the options and pros and cons, I have decided that the ALL IN ONE wine pump is a better product for me, made in the good old USA, and customers reviews are very good.

I don't understand your explanation.

How many 5 gallon buckets can I do at one time without turning off the pump?

I bottled 7 buckets (23 liters, 6 gallon per bucket) and the vacuum pump was only lurk warm... I stopped because I didn't have more to bottle :)

Last edited:

The issue is building up the initial vacuum, not maintaining it (stable vacuum). For example (numbers are completely hypothetical)...

Without the valve, the wine will start flowing at 5mm Hg of pressure. The pump can pull a volume of air faster than the wine can flow. So, over time, the pump will build up to the 20 mm Hg. The initial wine will enter the carboy at a significantly less vacuum pressure.

If you use the valve, it will take a minute or so, but the 6 gallons of air in the carboy will eventually be reduced to 20 mm Hg of pressure. Open the valve and all the wine entering the carboy experiences the 20 mm Hg of pressure.

Last edited:
The issue is building up the initial vacuum, not maintaining it (stable vacuum). For example (numbers are completely hypothetical)...

Without the valve, the wine will start flowing at 5mm Hg of pressure. The pump can pull a volume of air faster than the wine can flow. So, over time, the pump will build up to the 20 mm Hg. The initial wine will enter the carboy at a significantly less vacuum pressure.

If you use the valve, it will take a minute or so, but the 6 gallons of air in the carboy will eventually be reduced to 20 mm Hg of pressure. Open the valve and all the wine entering the carboy experiences the 20 mm Hg of pressure.

Why is important for all the wine entering the carboy to experience the same constant pressure? I'm a relative newbie, so sorry if this should be obvious, but it isn't to me.

I have an all-in-one pump, and I inserted a valve in the line myself to use both for degassing and to prevent the siphon-action reversing of flow after filling a receiving container. But I have not been using the valve to build up the pressure before starting.

Last edited:
You don't need to with the Allinonewinepump, because it is a much stronger vacuum pump than others are using.
Also just sucking up a little air when you are almost done with your transfer and it will not siphon back.
Just press the vacuum release and turn off pump.

Last edited:
Why is important for all the wine entering the carboy to experience the same constant pressure? I'm a relative newbie, so sorry if this should be obvious, but it isn't to me.

I have an all-in-one pump, and I inserted a valve in the line myself to use both for degassing and to prevent the siphon-action reversing of flow after filling a receiving container. But I have not been using the valve to build up the pressure before starting.

Hi HoCo Al

This is not using the valve
wovalve.jpg

Using the valve
wvalve.png

I have not used the all-in-one pump so I will not say our vacuum pump is stronger than all-in-one, or any other people's vacuum pumps.

But I can tell people these: Our wine making vacuum pump has a flow rate of 10 liter / minute, and the carboys for wine making is 23L. So it is strong enough for all wine making tasks such as bottle filling, degassing and racking.

However, the vacuum pump is not the ONLY product we sell. We sell a system that includes not only the pump, but the platform for vacuum bottle filling, all the valves and adapters for as little as $159.99.

Cheers and happy wine making.

Last edited:
We understand what you are saying, just don't agree that it's necessary. I can't se a reason to use the valve to increase the initial vacuum.

Just to clarify everything -

The Allinonewinepump has a specially designed pump, because there was no others with the specs that I was needing to make the best vacuum wine transferring system out there.

It is not your typical 12 dc volt system - but a much higher voltage in order to run the vacuum pump which is attached to it.

The LPM (liters per minute ) are around 25 and the vacuum is 22 in. -Hg

I literally put all the parts together by hand - connecting rod,piston,cylinder, and so on. All are lubricated with synthetic oil to make them last alot longer than the 1 year warranty.

Back