Adding Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrupjr

Reaction score
Curious as to why some kits have your sprinkle the yeast on top and not mix in, while others have your stir it in gently?

I'll guess there's two reasons. First, there are many yeasts used in wine making and they all have individual characteristics. Beyond that though, wine kits are a business and kit makers create instructions based on who they think Is reading them. In short, some think we're mindless, others just stupid. In reality, neither is the best way.

Last edited:
Shaken but not stirred?

I DON'T THINK IT MATTERS THAT MUCH WHICH OF THE TWO WAYS YOU DO IT,IN MOST CASES ITS JUST SPRINKLE ON TOP,IN SOME CASES THEY MAY WANT SOME OF THE YEAST CELLS TO SETTLE TO THE BOTTOM KNOWING A VAST MAJORITY WILL STAY TO THE TOP,ON THE OTHER HAND BY JUST SPRINKLING THEM ON THE TOP THERE'S PLENTY OF OXYGEN FOR THE YEAST TO START TO DO THEIR WORK QUICKER,JUST SOME THOUGHTS ON IT.BUT IN ANY CASE FERMENTATION SHOULD START IN 24RS.:db

See my note about adding raisins in your other post. Same thing. Most yeast is killed with too hot of water. sprinkling it takes longer to start but you won't kill it.

Back