Headspace

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malgatos

Reaction score
I just finished racking my wine from its primary fermentation bucket to a 1 gallon glass jug. There seems to be a lot of headspace, but my local wine shop (based on what I told them over the phone) thinks this is okay since this off-gassing phase will form a "cap." Hopefully I've attached a picture...if not, in my 1 gallon growler there is about 1.5 inches plus the neck of my bottle. Anyone else have input here??

headspace.jpg

I agree that you're ok right now. Once fermentation is complete you'll have to make a decision. Either top it up or rack to a 1/2 gallon jug and a few bottles.

I usually try to hold some juice back and keep it in the fridge for topping up later.

That is every bit of juice I got from my own grapes....wish I had more!

What is the feeling out there on topping off? I am inclined not to since these were my own grapes and I want to see how they turn out on their own. But will topping off with another wine really change the integrity of the original that much?

What is the feeling out there on topping off? I am inclined not to since these were my own grapes and I want to see how they turn out on their own. But will topping off with another wine really change the integrity of the original that much?

well "bad cats", i agree with dan, that you are safe for the time being, but when the times that you do need to top off, i think the amount you will need to top off with, as long as you use a like, or same varietal, will be very minimal in proportion that it will be of very little significance, therefore not affecting the outcome of your wine....

From the picture that you posted, you have gas coming from the wine in the bottle as seen by the position of the "bubble" in the airlock, so you are okay for now. It looks to me like 2 each 1500 ml bottles would be about perfect. I would rack into them, install airlocks and finish the wine there. You will need two #3 stoppers for the 1500 ml bottles.

Yep, I have bubbling in the airlock -- although what seems very slow for day one -- a bubble about once every 1.75 minutes. I guess I rack when the bubbling has stopped completely? I read somwhere that I should be taking a hydrometer reading every 5-7 days, but I'm not sure what purpose this would serve....?

Thanks MUCH for the bottle size suggestion. I'll start searching for them.

I think you might need one regular 750 ml bottle also. I would buy an extra couple airlocks and small stoppers to be sure. A good selection of sizes is very handy!

Latest posts

Back