Instructions vs. the video

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I started my second kit this weekend. I have a Vintners Reserve Chardoney in stage 2 going on its 10<SUP>th</SUP> day. It was my first time and I have to say it looks nice and clear. I ordered some bottles and other things the other day along with a new kit a Vintners Reserve Blush – Chablis. I received a video with the order. My problem is that the video doesn’t match the paper directions. The video suggests stirring the juice in the primary during fermentation. It also says to loosely place the top on the primary. The directions don’t make mention of this. Should I be stirring it up every day or so during stage one? Should I worry about the top being on the primary with an airlock in it?

Newbie stress, Sorry

I would follow the written instructions that came with the kit. They work "first time.every time." Edited by: Waldo

Thanks for helping me out...I am a Razorback also(I live in Lowell). I have read a bunch of your posts so I think you migh know a little something about this stuff!!!!

Thanks Waldo

There is really no need to stir a wine kit in the primaryunless it contains a grape skin or raisin pack.

Placing the lid on loosely, covering it with a towel, or snapping it down tight with an airlock all works just fine. The main thing to remember is to stir the batch vigorously when making it up and then protect it from from foreign objects and debris when fermenting. There is plenty of oxygen added to the must when stirring well to allow the yeast to multiply into a healthy colony.

Great.....On my first batch I followed the written instructions to the "T" and the SG and everything checked out almost to the day. As I am sitting here writing this and listening to batch #2 bubble in the primary (24 hr. on the nose since I started it) I figured I was on the right track...

Opinions vary on lid vs cloth but like Masta said, either work fine every time. As far as stirring, it is not necessary but will not hurt either during first few days of fermentation..

First Time Wine, (Newbie Stess Sorry)! I'm not a newbie and I still have the Stress! I still ask the questions and there is always someone here to help out!

Back