SPARKLING WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
We use the method from this Web Site
http://honeycreek.us/makingsparklingwine.htm
Here is a few photos of the process.
Take 5 or 6 gallons of any dry wine, we have used only white wine [dry apple] but use any wine that you enjoy, a blush or rosé would work too.Commercial Champagne/Sparkling Wine is made form Chardonnay, or sometimes even an off quality wine.
DO NOT STABILIZE this wine.Rack to bottling bucket,
ADD:
1/3/4 cups dissolved white table sugar in boiled water [cooled]
1 package Champagne Yeast...rehydrated in small amount of water.

We try to make sure there is no Sulfite residue on any equipment, that will impair the fermentation process that will take place inside the bottles, so rinse bucket, and filling equipment, tubing, etc. with water.
Stir frequently while bottling to keep sugar and yeast in suspension. Fill rinsed Champagne bottles. Cap bottles with plastic champagne stoppers and wire securely...or they say you can use crown caps [beer bottle caps] at this point.

2006-02-02_102809_1-First_Batch.jpg

Store bottles upright in sturdy containers. Line bottoms of containers with many layers of newspapers. Champagne yeast will work at temperatures as low as 50*F, so a basement floor is okay. These bottles will be stored upright for 2 months while the yeast works.

2006-02-02_103818_2-1st_stage.jpg

Shake the bottles weekly to disperse the yeast and sugar throughout the wine. Shake more often towards the end of the 2 month period, every few days is good, this will get any sediment off the bottoms and dispersed it through the wine. If any wires were loose you will notice that they have tightened...this is from pressure building in the bottles. [kind of creepy, but you know that the yeast is working]
*We try to use at least one clear bottle for each batch as a 'view' into the fermentation process.

After 2 months, invert the bottles in the storage boxes.

2006-02-02_104314_3-invert_bottles.jpg

Now comes the Riddling Process. Everyday [if possible] lift the bottle, twist briskly and drop the bottle into the box from a hight of about 2-4 inches. ***[This is why you padded the bottoms of the boxes, to absorb the shock of the bottles dropping into the box.]

2006-02-02_104941_4-riddling.jpg

This process will drop any sediment that has formed on the sides of the bottle neck and send it settling into the bottle cork.

2006-02-02_105215_5-lees.jpg

After 2 weeks or so of Riddling it is time to dégorge the wine. This is a process of removing the lees that have settled into the cork.
Keeping the bottle inverted [neck down] place in a freezer till there is ice forming in the neck of the bottle. In our old chest type freezer it takes and 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Now that you have some ice formed in the neck of the bottle you can return the bottle to a semi-up-right position to dégorge the ice 'plug'.

2006-02-02_105703_6-upright.jpg

Now comes the dégorging. This is best done outdoors, wear glasses or safety glasses, keep loved ones and pets away from popping corks. *The safety glasses are to protect your eyes from the spurting wine.

Carefully remove the wire.

2006-02-02_110034_7-degorge.jpg

POP!!! As quickly as you can place your CLEAN thumb over the bottle opening. This is kind of tricky, but you'll figure it out fast. Dégorge several bottles at a time. [or just one to try it]

2006-02-02_110424_8-quick_thumb.jpg

Using a small funnel refill bottles from one, try to pour the wine down the sides of the bottles to prevent foaming. *Dispose of any leftover wine....Leftover wine...Hello!!!

Place clean plastic stoppers and wires on the bottles and store right side up for about 2 more months in your wine cellar. This will give the wine some time to rejuvenate the bubbles that were lost during the dégorging process.

2006-02-02_111306_9-labeled.jpg

Here is a shot of the lees in the plastic top...

2006-03-06_175403_lees.jpg

*Probably not a bad idea to wait to label till the end of the process, things get a little messy during the dégorging process.

Hope this tutorial is helpful...enjoy your bubbly, it is worth the process.
2006-02-02_111928_smiley_bubbly.gif

Edited by: Northern Winos

Here is a bit of an update, added to the original Post of making 'Sparkling Wine'..I posted a photo of the 'lees' that are deposited in the plastic top...kind of 'yucky'...... but better to have it all settled in there by 'riddling'.... then frozen and dégorged...then you are left with clear 'bubbly' to enjoy....
smiley4.gif

NW,

Thanks for the tutorial, I love photos and find this process facinating. I'll be looking this one up later when I muster enough courage to try it
smiley36.gif

Thanks again!

Bottled another batch of ***Sparkling*** Wine today...
It went like this...

Rinse bottles with the jet faucet washer....Place in One Step Solution...

20060808_154644_1_One_Step.jpg

Rinse with the jet washer and place in Sulfite solution...

20060808_154737_2_Sulfite.jpg

Rinse all Sulfite solution from the bottles...you don't want any Sulfite to hinder the secondary fermentation in the bottles...let bottles drain...

20060808_154856_3_Clean_Bottles.jpg

Sanitize all other equipment with Sulfite and rinse with clear water...

20060808_154953_4_Sanitize.jpg

The *Cuvèe...[*Cuvèe....any white wine, still and stable]...DO NOT AT ANY STABILIZER....it will hinder the fermentation....In this case it was apple wine...

20060808_155141_6__Cuvee.jpg

Rack to bottling bucket...

20060808_155222_7_Racking.jpg

Mix the 'Magic'...
2 cups boiling water, dissolve 1 3/4 cups white suger...
1 package Champagne Yeast [rehydrated in 2 oz water...
Apple flavor [if desired]

20060808_155420_8__Making_Bubbl.jpg

Add yeast and sugar mixtures to wine in the bottling bucket, and stir well...stir well during bottling to keep mixture suspended...

Have your bottle stoppers sanitized and rinsed in clear water...

20060808_155905_9_Plastic_Caps.jpg

The 'Filling Station'...fill your bottles as usual...

20060808_155958_10_Filling_Stat.jpg

Cap bottles with plastic stoppers and wire hoods....Set bottles aside to ferment at near 60 degrees...

20060808_160102_Ready_to_fermen.jpg

Let bottles ferment for 2 months...shake bottles weekly to suspend the yeast.....

After 2 months invert the bottles...tops down....thump the bottles daily to send the lees into the cap...Do this for 2 weeks...

Then dègorge the lees, refill and recap and let rest upright for 2 months and ENJOY!!!!it is worth the effort....This should be ready for New Years...we hope????

Hope this has been helpful...

smiley4.gif

LOVE the tutorial!

I think I'm going to have to try this out this winter. The snow actually looks beautiful. (Please remind me of this when I complain about the snowstorms this winter!)

Good job, NW, It HAS been more than helpful!

M.

Great job on the tutorial Wino.....I might give this a try myself. One question I have, at the beginning of the process do you fill the bottles as you normally would or do you leave more space in the bottle for expansion.

Waldo...you fill the bottles as usual....

When you do the shaking of the bottles it really gives you the 'willies' at first....like you are scared they could blow the topper or explode, but as the weeks go by you get more vigorous with the shaking....

We have had one cork blow during the fermenting process, and one after dègorging....I think the wire hoods were not as tight as they should have been.If the wire hoods are loose the cork lifts till it reaches the wire hood...that's kind of creepy, you know that some pressure is inside the bottle....We are going to order a wire tightening tool, now we use a pliers and make sure the wires are as tight as possible...

I think that Welch's Niagara would make a great sparkling wine, I might try that someday....

I think some champagne is made with poor quality Chardonnay, so think any white wine would work....
smiley1.gif

DAY ONE</font>

The yeast is beginning to multiply already and forming Lees on the bottom of the bottles.....

20060809_121451_Yeast_1.jpg

We use one clear bottle for each batch so we can watch the delvelopment....

20060809_121539_Yeast_1_4.jpg

This bottle didn't have a punt in the bottom.... cheap sparkling wine came in the bottle, it seems the glass is thinner than most Champagne bottles...sure hope it is strong enough to hold the pressure that will develop inside....
smiley3.gif
Time will tell...
smiley1.gif

This is how it looks in the glass when it's sat for a few months after dègorging.....

20060819_164350_Picture_002.jpg

The head had filled the glass, and the bubbles are awesome...
Yeah, Yeah, I'm not supposed to drink...but what the 'hey'...It's Saturday night, I've been good, and besides what else goes with hamburgers and beans????
20060819_164851_Cheers.gif

Here is a photo of the lees that have built up in the bottles over the past 6 weeks or so....

20060924_085514_Picture_070_Sma.jpg

Have been shaking the bottles once a week to disperse the yeast through the wine....

For the next 2 weeks or so we will shake the wine twice a week, then turn the bottles up side down and begin the Riddling process of thumping the lees into the plastic stopper [cork]...then dégorge, refill, recap and wait for the bubbly....

This process may seem tetious....but is truly worth it...and fun!!!!
smiley4.gif

That was a very interesting tutorial and the bubbly in the glasses
makes me very thirsty. I will definetly have to try this. Just need to
make some wine appropriate for this prcess. Thanx.

We got a new toy...[tool] for tightening the wires on the bubbly bottles...

toolSmall.jpg

The wires all look like a machine did them...like it!!!

Sure saves time too...no more fumbling with pliers...

Ask George at the Fine Vine Wines Toy Store to get you yours... Edited by: Northern Winos

Saturday Night....*****Sparkling Wine Night*****

Mixed up another batch yesterday and pitched the yeast tonight...

Got to keep a steady supply around...takes awhile to make so can't run low...just keep a batch brewing while the last batch is fermenting in the bottle.

Life is Good!!!

Another Sparkling Apple Wine from our own apple juice....Estate bottled!!! Grown, produced, bottled andconsumed on the premises. Edited by: Northern Winos

scotty said:
Please post a link. All I get is a red X
smiley1.gif

Scotty...I was getting RED X's too....I had deleted the photos in Photobucket for the wire tightening tool....Hope you can see it now.

Are you seeing the photos in the first part of the Post???

Bottled yet another vintage of Sparkling Apple Wine yesterday...it has now joined the 12 bottles of Sparkling Rhubarb/Pineapple wine in the root/wine cellar.

fermSmall.jpg

I noticed the temperature in that room is only 62*F...With Champagne [Lalvin EC-1118] Yeast it should still pick up carbonation.....Most times that room is about 65* and can get as hot as 68* during winter months when there is a roaring fire in the wood furnace on the other side of the insulated wall.

Back