Beet wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
After about a week of fermentation.
2005-03-15_174311_beet_2005-03-17.jpg

Wow that color! It looks yummy, did you taste it? How does it smell?

The smell is why. It just smells a little yucky to me right now. I will definitely taste it when it's going to be racked.

I am a firm believer in the rule of tasting at every racking, testing, bottling, etc. It helpsus to 'know' each individual wine, and keeps us aware of all the changes taking place and maybe even alarm us of potential trouble.

Yes, I agree. But you must have never tasted a cabbage wine while it's fermenting.

Yea, but I would have never made cabbage wine in the first place. You are the brave one and the great experimenting winemaker for doing all those oddities.

Oh stop, I'm the one who "should know better"...

You're the one to learn winemaking from. I'm the one who tells you, "Trust me, don't do it."

OK. What does the beet wine taste like so far? Surely you have tasted it by now.

hahahaha!
smiley36.gif

ummm... interesting. tastes like sweet beets from the can. I can't say it was good or if it was bad. Just kind of... Wow. The smell is definitely too strong for my nose, though.

They aren't pickled beets are they? I know you are smarter than that.

smiley3.gif

Well I had to ask when you said the smell was too much for your nose!

smiley33.gif

they were raw beets, cooked a little until they were soft enough to blend in the blender. The mush went into the straining bag.

Thank you...the color looks intense...beets make a killer dye. Have you made a beet wine before? How was the taste, etc.

My hands were a nice shade of red for a few days, and I didn't even really come in contact with them. Go figure.

This is my first attempt at beet wine. But it shows promise, if the smell tones down a little.

Latest posts

Back