Good DVD on wine making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corinth

Reaction score
I am looking for a good DVD on wine making. I have searched around and there are some out there but you folks are the experts.

I am looking for something not to simple but not so complex that I would have to enroll at UCDAVIS to understand what is going on?

I have already bought some books, checked out some others from libraries to give a gander and needless to say, I have PDF'd almost everything I can find.

Recommendations.

Thank you!:slp

I amGoogle man Google. looking for a good DVD on wine making. I have searched around and there are some out there but you folks are the experts.

I am looking for something not to simple but not so complex that I would have to enroll at UCDAVIS to understand what is going on?

I have already bought some books, checked out some others from libraries to give a gander and needless to say, I have PDF'd almost everything I can find.

Recommendations.

Thank you!:slp

Google man Google.

RCGoodin,

Believe me, I have Googled and will continue to do so. I have read some reviews and read quite a few descriptions but I know that some are better than others. I have a lot of videos on a lot of subjects but I would prefer to "minimize " my outlay to videos that winemakers out there think are worth buying and keeping.

I approach things from as many "sensory perspectives " or "learning styles" as possible.

So again, if anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate your feedback.

Thank You!:a1

RCGoodin,

Believe me, I have Googled and will continue to do so. I have read some reviews and read quite a few descriptions but I know that some are better than others. I have a lot of videos on a lot of subjects but I would prefer to "minimize " my outlay to videos that winemakers out there think are worth buying and keeping.

I approach things from as many "sensory perspectives " or "learning styles" as possible.

I don't know that you will find what you are looking for. your best bet is you just go for it and ask questions. It worked for me, not only did I get my questions answered but I gained a valued friend in the process! Thanks Dan Wolfe aka Runningwolf!

I don't know that you will find what you are looking for. your best bet is you just go for it and ask questions. It worked for me, not only did I get my questions answered but I gained a valued friend in the process! Thanks Dan Wolfe aka Runningwolf!

I agree. I spent weeks ordering and reading books, Youtubing and Googling like crazy. What I learned right here was the best for me. I asked questions, the experts answered... fast. I also have made a few friends in the process. Can't get that from a DVD.

Trial and error. Learn by doing. Make mistakes. Ask questions on here. Learn from your mistakes. Make your next batch better. Keep striving for excellence. Drink. Repeat.

RCGoodin,

You could go to any/all the wine kit makers websites and download the kit directions. I think we all would recommend that you start with a kit and follow the directions. After creating several batches, then start following the posted threads on how to tweak it, like "Thinking out of the box."

Earlier I said Google but I meant Youtube. I spent many hours looking at videos there.

You have to start somewhere. When I find myself stuck, I tell myself to do something, even if it's wrong.

My apologies as I do not know how to include Multiple quotes yet. However, I like what everyone said but was especially moved by a couple of simple statements in BOLD!

" I asked questions, the experts answered... fast. I also have made a few friends in the process. Can't get that from a DVD." LoneStarLori

Very will put!

I started out with the Costco brand. I knew I would screw it up and I did. Added too much water ( added 23 litres instead up to the 23 l mark):slp. Then my neighbor told me about this forum - learn a ton from here. Also the wine place I get my kits from have videos and tutorials on their site. www.noblegrape.ca

One of the strengths of books and videos can be that they contain lots of valuable information. One of the great weaknesses of books and videos is that you are not ready for the information when you read it- so really important ideas get lost in the haze. One of the great strengths of a forum like this one is that when you have a question you you can post it and folk here are always willing to offer their time and knowledge to try to answer it. Very Zen:you ask your questions when you are ready for the answers. Books - and videos are likely to answer questions you are not yet ready to ask. But that said, check out Northern Brewer (I don't know if they are a sponsor of this site). They sell at least one wine making DVD for about $60. I have no idea how good it is...

Another problem is outdated info. I had a book written by a president of prominent winemaking club with lots of accolades etc. He said to use bleach to clean all carboys etc. Which I did until someone on this forum told me to stop using bleach, and why. So it might have been a great book 12 years ago, but taught me some bad lessons.

Pam in cinti

I don't think the information in published material is outdated in any literal way. Even material that was published 50 or 100 years ago. I wonder if the issue is that beer makers often use bleach but they typically don't use corks and corks and bleach can create problems, so folk who come to wine making from beer brewing often sanitize with bleach. If you don't use organic corks then bleach may not result in any problem

There is a free choice for videos out there at FineVineWine - The Winemakers Toystore. George Cornelius has videos of various stages of kit winemaking for several different brands, but the principles are the same for most kinds and manufacturers. The link is as follows https://www.finevinewines.com/ . Click the icon for the online videos and the next page has brand selections, etc. Then popup video choices.

Not sure this should go here but it is an hour long lecture on the chemistry of wine on you tube. Not sure where to put this one. Anyone who wishes to move it somewhere else is free to do so.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivMewfj3WLE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivMewfj3WLE[/ame]
Corinth

Corinth, I am betting that it will delight you to learn that the lecturer is our very own GreginND! I watched that video when Greg posted a link to it some months ago, and I recommend it as well.

I started out watching a few youtube videos on making wine from Welch's grape juice. It came out pretty good.

Then I read Jack Keller's site - again and again and again... (I'm still re-reading his site.) And I became a serial browser of this site. Lots of really helpful people here.

Also, check out homewinery.com as they have some really good concentrates that make excellent wine. It comes with directions / recipe.

Latest posts

Back