Goslin’s Raisin wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't throw it out. Problems are good to experiment with before you dump it. The KB is Potassium Bicarbonate(KCH03) Another is Calcium Carbonate, 1/2 oz. will reduce your acidity by 1ppt in 6 gallons.

Two other remedies will also reduce acidity from the kitchen shelf. Pure Baking Soda or the good old "Tums."

This is probably why I do more 1-gallon batches then in bulk. When major problems happen, there's really not much lost but much learned.

Tums huh, I think I'll give it a try just to see how it reacts. Really
this batch was an experment to see how it would do, I still have half a
trash bag full of oak leaves in the freezer for a five gallon batch. So
when I'm ready to put it together I'll know now to go by what the ph
papers are telling me.

So do you think the amounts added to the raisin batches were to much?

edit: I just added one of the large tums and it seems to have did the trick. I'm going to let it sit a while and check it again.

second
edit: added four grams over a period of time of calium carbonate by way
of Tums. Not much change. The first reading was taken to soon(I didn't
let the paper completely dry) so it didn't do the trick. The must is
giving off some co2 now after raising the temp so I'm going to let it
go as is.

</font></span></font></font></span>By
the way the raisin wine is clearing well, I racked both batches
yesterday and the second batch is clearing faster than the first, which
kind of surprised me but the difference there is the first batch of
raisins were boiled and the second batch </span></font></span></font></font></font></span></font></span></font></font></font>wasn't</span></font></span></font></font></font>. I'll rack again in a month. </span></font></span></font></font></font></span></span></span></span>

</font></span></font></font></span>

Edited by: Goslin

Possibly so, like I had previously stated, I have never added any acid blend to my raisin wines that I have made in the past.

When you buy raisins, it's also a good idea to check if they had been treated with sulphites...some do and the ones at the health food store are not. Some of the "boxed ones" at the retail grocery store are treated and some are not.

This will be a very interesting experiment for you..
smiley2.gif

I wanted to add this regarding recipes and you probably already know that they are "just guidelines" to get one rolling along. Also, you might want to check at Dr. Jack's site, http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/ a great wealth of valuable info. I have read it over and over now and then and I always pickup something new. He is very helpful and responds to personal e-mail questions concerning your interests that are not listed on his site as well.

Hope this helps you some...."keep plugging" guy!Edited by: Maui Joe

Back