What are you making and what have you made ???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you make a yeast starter or just sprinkle a packet of yeast on the must?

Either way, the answer is yes, it's very possible. One packet of yeast is recommended for 5 to 6 gallons of must. Using that much in 2 gallons means that the yeast had a head start (even if you didn't create a starter first) so that it jump starts the population expansion phase for the yeast. That means they got to the alcohol creation even faster.

Plus, EC-1118 is an overachiever anyway, and you had a really yummy environment for it to do its thing.

You should be fine!
I did make a yeast starter with about a third of a packet of EC118. Two days later the fermentation didn't "look" aggressive when I opened the fermenter and I stirred the must so I did sprinkle in an additional pinch of the EC118. I did leave the cover loose for the first two days then sealed the fermenter. The air lock never bubbled and by 3.5 days the wine was still. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with a 12.5% fermentation after 3.5 days! :) I'm still going to let this batch sit in glass with airlock for 2-3 weeks and take measurements again. The smell was good and the lees and sediment were heavy in the fermenter so apparently it was a successful ferment.
Thanks for the feedback.

Back