When I look at my secondary...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaeyama

Reaction score
When I look at my secondary from my very first batch, and see the bubbling action, and witness the "weather system" (it's like a mini-hurricane in a 6 gallon mini-ocean of wine) I think, "I have to wait several months before I can enjoy this"?

As one of those, "compulsive shopper, want it yesterday" type guys, maybe I should have tried brewing beer instead. ;-) (No, I can't do a beer batch as well. My wife has vetoed that idea. :D )

Patience is a virtue when making wine.

I'm not sure what you mean by the mini hurricane action though. Do you ahve a 6 gallon carboy with an air lock?

What kind of wine?

convince the wife. I make beer, mead, and now wine. I do some smaller batches sometimes too just so i can get my brew on without having 2 more cases of bottles to store.

When I look at my secondary from my very first batch, and see the bubbling action, and witness the "weather system" (it's like a mini-hurricane in a 6 gallon mini-ocean of wine) I think, "I have to wait several months before I can enjoy this"?

As one of those, "compulsive shopper, want it yesterday" type guys, maybe I should have tried brewing beer instead. ;-) (No, I can't do a beer batch as well. My wife has vetoed that idea. :D )

:D I know exactly what you are talking about with the mini hurricane! I started a batch of raspberry mead in a carboy (loose berries, not in a nylon bag) a week ago...I was amazed at what goes on behind the scene in the primary...it is near violent at times. I racked it today to the secondary..well, actually, I dumped it in the secondary, and yeah, hurricane is a correct analogy.... my youngest son calls it "eruptions".

I am an extreme noobie to this hobby, but, if you want something that is going to get you to a faster ending, then I would recommend buying a wine kit... I have two batches bottled...and aging now.

They take about one month before ready to bottle, but you should let them age at least two months bottled before consuming according to the instructions. I have tasted both batches and they are good, but I want to see the true results, so I am not going to pop a cork for a few months.

The claims are that you can have good wine in three months from start to finish. I would go with a higher end wine kit after doing some research...

WADE is a great source of information on the kits by the way. I should have listened to him on the Red ZIN batch...

Last edited:
As some of you may remeber, I made a batch of wine with frozen concentrate and used Premier Cuvee, and hurricane is the proper desrcription, I think I refered to it as "boiling". It was indeed quite interesting. As Wade said, a Lava Lamp, to put it mildly. I quess when you peek in there and se it going like that there is no question whether or not the fermentation is working. Not to discount the readings of a hydrometer, but when the wine talks back to you like that, something is working.

Latest posts

Back