Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Country Fruit Winemaking > Apple Wine... Now Apple Cider

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:50 AM   #11
Scooter68
Still getting started at 20 batches & 2 years

Aug 2015
Liked 466 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mismost View Post
Scooter at 9.19% , I think you still have wine.
That by the way is a good point. When does it stop being a cider and become a wine? A couple of sites state that cider is normally 3% to 8% Except on the continent where that number goes up to 12%.

So, we live on the continent - it must be cider!

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

Old 10-13-2017, 06:14 AM   #12
Arne

Jun 2010
Liked 776 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter68 View Post
That by the way is a good point. When does it stop being a cider and become a wine? A couple of sites state that cider is normally 3% to 8% Except on the continent where that number goes up to 12%.

So, we live on the continent - it must be cider!
LOL, long as it tastes good and you are happy with it, Who cares? Arne.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #13
Scooter68

Aug 2015

That's the goal something that we like - especially the two sons-in-law.

By the way - I went ahead and pulled it from the fridge and racked to another bucket and ran it through my fine mesh strainer. Lost about 1/4 gallon to lees. down to 1 1/4 gallons and it's back in the fridge.

Question ? To sorbate it should it be allowed to warm back up? I've added 1 campden tablet already while it was warm before putting it into the fridge.

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

Old 10-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
Arne

Jun 2010
Liked 776 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter68 View Post
That's the goal something that we like - especially the two sons-in-law.

By the way - I went ahead and pulled it from the fridge and racked to another bucket and ran it through my fine mesh strainer. Lost about 1/4 gallon to lees. down to 1 1/4 gallons and it's back in the fridge.

Question ? To sorbate it should it be allowed to warm back up? I've added 1 campden tablet already while it was warm before putting it into the fridge.
Hmm, too bad we arn't a bit closer. I could swing over and give a bit of a taste test. Could tell better what to do. Arne.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #15
Scooter68

Aug 2015

Well, I've got enough apple juice for one more gallon batch of cider. It will have 1/2 gallon store bought (With ZERO preservatives or additives) and 3 quarts of our own apple juice from McIntosh and Winesap trees. Checked the SG and it's at 1.054 with no sugar added, that's good for about 8.4% if it ferments to fully dry. Going to let this batch go that way and then back-sweeten with some filtered juice just before bottling. (Will add sorbate and K-meta as well before back-sweetening.

Nice part is that I don't have to have a clear cider. When the taste is right it gets bottled clear or cloudy - I'd leave out the k-meta and sorbate if I thought it was safe but.... Not a high risk taker.

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM   #16
scodoublet

Oct 2017
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Newbie to the site here!
I love "hard cider" / "apple wine!"

Fortunately for me, I live right near a farm that makes unpasteurized cider.
They also make their own "hard cider"....technically Apple Wine, I guess. They make lots of flavors and always have free samples!
It's up there around 12%. Their mulled version is so good that I've created my own using theirs as my template.

Last batch I did was a full 6 gallon carboy.
In season, they press daily, so I am able to get unpasteurized cider anytime.
Then I add a bunch of sugar to get the SG up to 1.095 and some mulling spices along the way. Basically treated it just like I would wine.

Mine ends up ~12% and pretty dry, which is what I'm going for.
Right before drinking, some people like to cut it with hot plain apple cider for a nice warm drink with a little kick.
I like mine straight and as cold as possible!!