Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Other Topics > Food, Pairing & Craft Foods > What's for Dinner?

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:39 AM   #4821
GreginND
Super Moderator
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Mar 2012
Liked 1433 Times on 777 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour_grapes View Post
Nice, Greg!

As you may recall, you inspired me to start a couple of one-quart batches shortly after you. One was pure Jalapeno, and the other incorporated a bunch of habeneros for a bit more punch. I am about to puree them into sauce, and I wanted to ask you how much vinegar you decided to use? I may just copy you rather than test and tweak.
I don't measure. It depends on how much brine is there. I add cider vinegar until the consistency is thin enough to be sauce like.

http://4ewinery.com
http://facebook.com/4ewinery

sour_grapes Likes This 
Old 10-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #4822
sour_grapes
Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Sep 2013
Liked 3387 Times on 2143 Posts
Likes Given: 3697

Looks wonderful, John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
]The Oysters were very fresh and delicious. We ended up eating through 6 dozen of them between all of us.
One of my father's oft-used jokes was to complain: "What a rip off! I ate a dozen oysters, and only 5 of them worked!"

JohnT Likes This 
Old 10-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #4823
sour_grapes

Sep 2013

We had a semi-special occasion in the Grapes household this evening, so I left work an hour early to whip up some good grub. The main course was cinghiale, although I made it with pork shoulder, not wild boar. Wonderful stuff, with a soffrito, and mushrooms ('bellas and dried porcini), onions, San Marzano tomatoes, etc. Served over linguine (damn local big-box grocer does not carry pappardelle). I made a side dish of Romano beans and leeks braised in chicken stock, and an appetizer of deep-fried artichoke hears smothered with Parmigiano-Reggiano, and doused with truffle oil.

Perhaps the star of the show was a 2005 Brunello di Montalcino. Probably nothing to write home about, but it really complemented and filled out this Tuscan meal.
DSCN0701.jpg   DSCN0702.jpg   DSCN0703.jpg   DSCN0704.jpg   DSCN0700.jpg  

People Like This 
Old 10-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #4824
ceeaton
In my terrible twos of wine making

Feb 2015
Liked 2349 Times on 1335 Posts
Likes Given: 2578

Nothing fancy, just trying to figure out what to do with the plethora of leftovers now that my oldest son (and biggest eater) has flown the coop. (Note to self, don't need a 6 lb chicken anymore to smoke, go for the smaller dudes/gals). Had leftover linguini from chicken parm on Saturday. Leftover chicken from a smoked beer can w/o the beer chicken on Sunday. Some green peppers and carrots that were not long for this world and a shallot that was soon to sprout. Made a mild thai peanut sauce. Added some hot peppers in my dish separate so that my wife could enjoy. Actually turned out pretty well and the smoked flavor component of the chicken didn't fight the peanut sauce but actually enhanced it!
10-11-17_leftover-thai-chicken.JPG  

People Like This 
Old 10-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #4825
geek

Sep 2012
Liked 1172 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 1922

Salmon with potatoes.

Don Amado Cellars

Old 10-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #4826
sour_grapes

Sep 2013

This is not what *I* had for dinner. This is what Steve ( @vacuumpumpman ) had for dinner. This comes from the October meeting of the Wisconsin Vintners' Association, where Steve was the guest of honor. The second picture shows my dinner, which was a schnitzel covered in sauteed onions and mushrooms.
DSCN0705.jpg   DSCN0706.jpg  

Old 10-13-2017, 08:13 PM   #4827
sour_grapes

Sep 2013

Before I forget, this is from yesterday. It was a NY Strip steak, nice and thick. I dry-brined it, then seared it and served with a compound butter with dill and thyme. We also enjoyed roasted Delicato squash, and red kale + onions braised in chicken stock.
DSCN0712.jpg   DSCN0713.jpg  

People Like This 
Old 10-13-2017, 08:24 PM   #4828
Boatboy24
No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Mar 2012
Liked 4868 Times on 2881 Posts
Likes Given: 8126

Wifey not feeling well, so my dinner plans were put on hold. The boys and I ordered Papa Johns instead.

BROAD RUN CELLARS

Old 10-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #4829
sour_grapes

Sep 2013

A few days ago I told you I made cinghiale. I had bought a small pork shoulder to supply a bit over a pound of cubes of pork for this dish. What to do with the rest of the shoulder?

Last night, we came home wet and tired from a long week and a rainy walk home. We were casting about for ideas so that we didn't have to go to the store. I was trying to think of a way to use the pork shoulder, but that did not take a long cooking time. I got it! Pork schnitzel! (Or Wiener Schnitzel vom Schweinfleisch). I cut thin shoulder cutlets, trimmed the fat, pounded them thinner, dredged in flour, egg wash, panko, into shallow oil to fry. I also made smashed 'taters (simmered, smashed, and refried), and leftover braised kale from earlier in the week. I even had some lemon wedges and parsley already cut -- it was like it was meant to be.

I still had a bit of the shoulder on the bone this morning. That went into the Northern beans for today's dinner!

Here is last night (dinner today is still in the future):
DSCN0714.jpg  

People Like This 
Old 10-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #4830
Boatboy24
No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Mar 2012
Liked 4868 Times on 2881 Posts
Likes Given: 8126

My wife nixed my plans for chicken parm tonight, saying she just wanted to fix herself something light. Oldest is at a b-day party, so it's pretty much just me (my youngest is easy and will eat just about anything). Picked up some Prime NY strips at Costco yesterday and individually sealed them for freezer storage. The biggest one came out earlier and has been in the SV bath for about 90 minutes. Not sure what I'm going to do with it when it comes out shortly, but it'll be grill or CI pan. Have a Caesar Salad ready to go and to make the little guy happy, I'll throw on some tots.

BROAD RUN CELLARS