Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Equipment & Sanitation > bag in a box

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:48 AM   #11
sour_grapes
Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Sep 2013
Liked 3386 Times on 2142 Posts
Likes Given: 3697

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkisel View Post
Wow, I'm impressed by your critique of the video. I didn't pick up on any of that stuff.
Glad you were impressed. Upon second reading of my critique, I am almost embarrassed by the niggling!

Old 10-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #12
bkisel

Jun 2013
Liked 1379 Times on 825 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour_grapes View Post
Glad you were impressed. Upon second reading of my critique, I am almost embarrassed by the niggling!
Niggling? I thought I knew niggling until moving to PA a few years ago... One of the friends I've made since moving here is a retired Nuclear Plant QC Inspector. Let us just say that Bob adds new meaning to the word.

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 10-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #13
sour_grapes
Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Sep 2013
Liked 3386 Times on 2142 Posts
Likes Given: 3697

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkisel View Post
Niggling? I thought I knew niggling until moving to PA a few years ago... One of the friends I've made since moving here is a retired Nuclear Plant QC Inspector. Let us just say that Bob adds new meaning to the word.
Nice! I think we want that in a Nuclear Plant QC Inspector!

Perhaps not to that extent, but it is an occupational hazard for me, too. We are trained to always look for errors. Not in a mean way, but just as a way to do the checks you can.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #14
dcbrown73
Clueless Winemaker

Mar 2016
Liked 669 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 748

Says for storage up to 12 months.

For me, I think that would only include my fruit wines which generally drink more openly than my grape wines.

I try to hid my grape wines so I don't drink them up too quickly!

Old 10-08-2017, 05:31 AM   #15
balatonwine
The Verecund Vigneron

May 2017
Liked 200 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
He makes a huge deal about filling the wine to the correct level. Evidently, this is aimed at commercial wineries, where being nearly exact on the amount of wine you actually give the customer is required (by law).
It is not difficult to use a prior fill fixed volume reservoir then gravity feed wine into the pouch. So was not even sure why he filled by weight... But it is his video not mine and it does give a method most anyone can use (as most anyone has a scale).

But, even so, I am sure even a small commercial winery will mostly consider using their $2,700 machine with volume level for resale bags, not so much the little $200 one in the video.

https://astrapouch-na.com/video/astr...650&height=380

But even I found the little unit to load up bags for demos or give aways really something to consider. Easier to carry to events, conferences, potential clients, etc than bottles. And then exact volumes are not so important.

Quote:
Then, as he fills the bag while weighing it, he reminds us that, per TTB rules, you have to be within 1%. He stops filling the bag, a bit short of his target, but tells us that he is within the TTB-mandated 1%. However, according to the number he gave us, he was 3% shy of his target.
You are correct that, didactically, this is sub optimal.

But I think this is more an example of not wanting to bore the video audience with micromanaging the method in the video, just claim to do as I say not as I do, and then move more quickly to the rest of the demo.

Let's just say the videos were clearly not made by video professional consultants. But I don't mind that. If they were too slick, and polished, I would probably not trust them.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:50 AM   #16
balatonwine
The Verecund Vigneron

May 2017
Liked 200 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
I am almost embarrassed by the niggling!
Naw. Don't be. Who amongst us who has not niggled a video for the errors we see therein should throw the first camera at you. Trust me, you are safe from harm.

People Like This 
Old 10-08-2017, 07:08 AM   #17
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015
Liked 2208 Times on 1224 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Quote:
I am almost embarrassed by the niggling!
Personally, I quite enjoy your niggling.........

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

sour_grapes Likes This