potassium sorbate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoffart

Rick
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere on this site that the potassium sorbate that comes with the MM kits is not good.

If I'm bulk aging the wine do I hold off on adding the potassium sorbate? If yes how long before bottling do I add it?

Thanks

NO!

Not unless you are adding an F-pac of sorts. If the wine is fermented to dry you do not need it at all. If you add any form of sugar after fermentation then yes you need some sorbate.

ibglowin said:
NO!

Not unless you are adding an F-pac of sorts. If the wine is fermented to dry you do not need it at all. If you add any form of sugar after fermentation then yes you need some sorbate.

Cool ... I know I was hold out adding it for a reason. Everything I was reading talked about back sweeting ... or to prevent fermentation starting again. I don't know why the include it in dry white kits ... I guess just another catch-all solution.

Yep, its an insurance policy for the masses, just in case.

As long as its dry and you use proper sanitization techniques etc. its unnecessary.

Latest posts

Back