What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recovering from Lyme is a slow and ongoing process. I decided I wanted to get more focused on building myself up physically and build a daily routine. I decided on a bowflex, the Blaze has a very small footprint, BUT my room still needed an overhaul. I finally have extra space! It is still a work in progress, but I hope to have it wrapped up today.

Bryan, @winemaker81 once said something to the extent that I am the poster boy for efficient space usage. I now have about 10 hobbies packed into the room, so I had to get really creative this time.

My bench folds 180 degrees with wine storage underneath. The fridge is in test mode. It is a fermentation chamber for wine, beer, and sausage. TV for work out videos and following instructionals on YouTube. Compressor for blowing out tubing.
bench.jpg

It was a TV cabinet on the left, and according to measurements I had 3\4 on an inch to spare to the ceiling. After cutting off about 5 inches, that is now the case. I still have enough height to use the space for bottling. I am storing full carboys in the lower cabinets.
room.jpg
I am obsessed with these lately. I have at least 4 in the room throughout the shelves and cabinets for power. This will allow me to set up the AIO to transfer, bottle, and clean up efficiently.
power.jpg
wine.jpg

room.jpg

That's quite a fancy floor corker you have in the middle of the room! 🤣

maybe learning some Italian (ex azienda agricola = farm casa = cellar or sometimes winery); trying to plan a day trip to wineries in northern Lombardi; driving the google tool in a village called Chiuro; practicing typing in italian and making one letter mistake.

Prairie vinters club has 20 members/ friends going to Italy in August. This seems to be enough to rent a bus for a day and go to a grape growing/ wine producing region the next valley over. Some places take 30 some take 10. Current best guess is have a bus drop us in Chiuro, Sondoro provence, Italy and then walk to the several choices.
Chiuro-5Wineries.jpg
Is the info real? "Driving" the streets on google map I can't find some of the places and the four together look like in town. Then why? do their web pictures show grapes being picked and oak barrels and sunset over terraces? ;(
IMG_2813.jpeg
In September I will say this fun is over. In January I will say this is fun, do you (Wis Vinters) want to do the 2025 trip. In April I will say this is fun.

Last edited:
Mrs. WM81 and I went to a coin show this morning in Fayetteville NC. It's a small show, less than 20 dealers, although some are interesting to talk to.

Found a 1964-D Kennedy half dollar. When my father passed I received a box of half dollars, mostly 1971 or newer Kennedy's, with some 1964 to 1970 Kennedys. The difference is the early ones are silver. I decided to keep a set of the silver Kennedy's and the only one missing was the 1964-D, so now my set is complete.

Last edited:
Officially started another food related hobby - a dry aged hot capicola. Should be ready in about 2 months. Fortunately I have that patience thing down pat.😄
A Calabrian pepper pork tenderloin will be added in a couple days after it finishes curing.
The plan is to add fermented meat like salami and pepperoni once I finish the temperature/humidity controlled chamber.

There aren't too many things better than a food hobby!

20240504_165246.jpg

you need to visit Japan, ,,, I don’t see the tatami mats which one rolls out to turn that area into a bedroom every night
I am looking for a Murphy bed for the spare room. I don't see the point in having a room full of bed when I can have it full of delicious greens in a garden tower.

I am looking for a Murphy bed for the spare room. I don't see the point in having a room full of bed when I can have it full of delicious greens in a garden tower.

Maybe a bunk bed and use the lower level for seed starting and greens. Hang the grow lights from the upper bunk. :i

Air mattress, quick fix. Then there's DIY - you need another project, right?😆
We have an air mattress. The nice one, with the built in pump. Kids these days. Uncle Dave, do you think you will have a real bed next time we visit? :rolleyes:

You can't please anyone anymore. 😆

I had the joy of calling Angi, which was formerly Angie's List. For those not familiar, Angie's List was a service that acted as a go-between for end customers such as myself and a wide variety of service providers, including plumbers, electricians, etc. Customers could rate the providers and could use ratings to choose who to hire. We joined about 15 years ago and for a small annual fee, it provided good value. Up until now, every provider we hired through Angie's List did a good job for us.

Last year (or so?) the original owner sold out and the new owners renamed it Angi. New name, save service.

One difference is that Angi has its own stable of service providers. This is presented up front instead of the usual list of service providers.

Two weeks ago our well pump died. Switch and pressure tank seemed fine, but the pump wasn't pumping. I hit the Angi site and was asked to use their in-house provider. Being naïve, I did it and had an appointment for Sunday @ 8 AM. Two days without water is unhappy, but it could be worse.

To make a very long story short, the guy showed 3 hours late and apparently had to be contacted by Angi to get him to show. He brought his dog with him (seriously!). He didn't know what a pressure tank was, and left after 30 minutes, saying he couldn't help us and he'd contact Angi for a replacement.

Right ... first thing Monday morning I called a local plumber we had used before, who pointed us to a local well service. I called him, 1 hour later 3 guys were on-site, and 2 hours + $$$$ later we had water!

This afternoon it occurred to me that Angi probably charged us for the service. Sure enough, they did.

I got on the phone with their service center, and after a teeth-pullingly painful walk through the script the young woman with the thick Spanish accent was required to walk through, they accepted that no service had been performed.

The young woman said, "we will schedule you a new 'pro' (Angi term for service provider) to come ..."

I cut her off. "No. I had to hire a local service to fix our problem. I need a full refund."

She reacted well, and promised a 100% refund. I'm supposed to get an email within 24 hours and a refund on the credit card in 5 business days.

My advice?

I'll not use Angi's providers again, as they do not vet them. My wife and I was discussing dropping the subscription.

The owner of the well service and I discussed the situation. He recently subscribed to Angi from the opposite side of the coin. When I told him that Angi pushed their stable of "pros" before listing professional subscribers, his eyes opened wide. I doubt he'll be re-upping with Angi next year ...

Back