adjusting PH/TA after cold soaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewToHeugh

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just joined but probably should've before i crushed! any who...

I'm new to wine making but i've read a bit... here's what i got and my question.

I destemmed and crushed 8 cases of zinfindal and 2 boxes of alicante yesterday... It's currently sitting outside in a 55 gal barrel, loosely closed. It's not exactly cold enough outside yet to cold soak but its been mid 50's F during the night and low 60's F during the day. I plan on keeping it outside for at least another day. I have not inoculated yet either. I added potassium metabisulfite after crushing too.

On the 3rd day I plan to bring it inside and bring it to room temp for yeast. I have a BSG acid test kit and will be getting PH test strips. Since my TA was so low after i crushed, this probably means my PH is high right?

Is 3 day post crush too late to test and adjust PH?
Does the must have to be room temp for better readings?
Why was my TA SO low? (.30%)

Thanks

Nope. Actually after a day or two your acid readings will be more accurate as the potassium from the skins will be released to give you buffering capacity.

As for the low TA - I would double check it but it could be the grapes are very ripe.

Nope. Actually after a day or two your acid readings will be more accurate as the potassium from the skins will be released to give you buffering capacity.

As for the low TA - I would double check it but it could be the grapes are very ripe.

Thanks for the quick response.
Does temperature affect TA and PH readings?

Your pH meter may be off if you do not have a temperature calibrating meter. If you are using your pH meter to measure the endpoint of your TA titration, it could be off as well.

Back