Testing: What/When

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dburling

Reaction score
Newbie here! I have my first kit in the secondary and about to start the degassing/clearing process. I have been reading numerous threads on here and have come to the conclusion that there is much to learn about the process of making wine if I am going to produce a great wine.

At work, I am a very process driven person. I enjoy knowing the steps to take to achieve success. Now I find myself in a hobby that I am very excited about starting but I am struggling with the complexity of all of the tests that are mentioned in threads. TA, PH, SO2, etc... I have a basic understanding of each but what would really be helpful is a chart of when to complete each test and what level is good or bad. I understand that a lot of this is very subjective but surely someone out there has a good baseline system they use for testing.

Any help that can be provided will be much appreciated.

For making your first kit, if you can use a hydrometer, awesome. Everything else has been adjusted for you, at least in theory, and as long as you follow kit instructions you are fine.

I have not progressed to the point of measuring SO2, Ph, or TA, but just bought my first acid titration kit, so I'm sure I'll be blowing up the forum with similar questions.

Someone might be able to tell you when to do these tests, but probably no one will give you answers as to which levels are good vs. bad, because they all vary based on the type of wine you are making, so you would have to ask specifically for the wine you are making what to expect

Latest posts

Back