Fermenting Foods

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey RegionRat,
I followed a recipe for hot pepper sauce and I've got the mixture in the fridge now, taste is awesome.

My sauerkraut is also really good! Thanks for the recipe on that one too!

I use the second one, but not in two bowls. Just put the garlic after seperating the cloves, put in a qt. jar, shake and there it is,,

The peppers are happily bubbling away and the jar weighting them down has sunk about 5" overnight. it smells wonderful. I think it is working!

I took the fermented peppers out of the bucket today, ran them through the food processer then added back in 1/3 the volume of brine and 1/3 the volume of vinegar. ended up with 10 quarts of a really nice chili-garlic sauce. I had a couple cups left over so I decided to make a batch of Kimchi.
RegionRat, you were right when you told me my life would change after discovering fermented foods!

I took the fermented peppers out of the bucket today, ran them through the food processer then added back in 1/3 the volume of brine and 1/3 the volume of vinegar. ended up with 10 quarts of a really nice chili-garlic sauce. I had a couple cups left over so I decided to make a batch of Kimchi.
RegionRat, you were right when you told me my life would change after discovering fermented foods!

Good for you...

If you would like a little more reading try this site:

http://www.wildfermentation.com/

From that site I will be doing this for Superbowl Party

http://www.wildfermentation.com/tomato-salsa-with-garlic-scallion-and-chervil/

RR

Hey RegionRat,
I followed a recipe for hot pepper sauce and I've got the mixture in the fridge now, taste is awesome.

My sauerkraut is also really good! Thanks for the recipe on that one too!

Recipe? I would like the sauerkraut recipe please. :D I can't find it in this thread.
I have a garden full of cabbage just waiting for a new home in a crock. Please share

Thanks RR. I guess I should have started with the first page. :e
Now i have a project for tomorrow. yay!

Well I picked what was left of the cabbage in the garden and got 10 lbs of cabbage after coring and cutting. I found a 5 gal food grade bucket I had used to make wine in before I bought the bigger primary. The cabbage is resting nicely in it's new home anxiously awaiting fermentation to start.

Good for you. I like to sample it as it ferments. From day one all the way till it is canned in jars.

RR

Have to say home made sour kraut is much better then the store...
Been making it for years..
I rough shread some of it and let it ferment with dill seed, too make a russian cabbage...

Hey Lori, sorry I didn't see you post till just now! (Don't know how I missed it...)

RegionRat won't steer you wrong, the stuff is awesome!

I want to try to make a fermented milk drink - apparently it's dead easy to make a Yakult-style drink... interested in Mongolian fermented mare's milk too, however in the absence of horses the key ingredient for this might be hard to track down!

Well it is that time of the year, I was able to get some cabbage and a very reasonable rate so now it is time to make up some sauerkraut!!!!

What are the chances that this thread exists here? I just learned about fermenting before I joined this forum. I have my second batch of pickles sitting on the counter right now.

Does anyone have a good pepper sauce recipe they've tried? (admittedly, I read to page two then skipped to the last page)

-Zin

Back