Fermenting Foods

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to go back and look at my notes to see what my % solution was. I want to start another batch using Kosher salt vs. pickling salt to see if it/s different, and I'll carefully get my solution setup this time.....and I'll leave it in the kitchen instead of the basement.

Sorry, I was quoting from memory. I have been using 5.4% salt solution. Again, I don't mind the saltiness.

I have found no difference in using Kosher salt vs Canning salt. Just as long as it is not Iodized salt.

Here is a scan from Wild Fermentation. (moderators if this is a violation of some policy feel free to edit my post). This explains brines in sour pickles a little bit.

brine.jpg

Last edited:
Not exactly fermented food, but I just used a bunch of raisins to back sweeten and give a slightly thicker mouthfeel to my wine. When I was done with them I sugared them and put them in the fridge. They are to say the least…they are delicious!

I have to go back and look at my notes to see what my % solution was. I want to start another batch using Kosher salt vs. pickling salt to see if it/s different, and I'll carefully get my solution setup this time.....and I'll leave it in the kitchen instead of the basement.

How about an update?

RR

Nothing to report yet. Hope to this weekend.
Just started a new job.

Nothing to report yet. Hope to this weekend.
Just started a new job.

I know what you mean. I started a new project for work a few months ago and it has shut down most of the activities I enjoy. Another week and I will be able to get back in the swing of things.

RR

Last edited:
Just a quick update, I took my (way too salty) pickles and I'm soaking them in fresh water to "desalinate", as suggested above. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Thanks a lot friends for sharing your useful tips and suggestions it would be very helpful for newbies like me.

I just scored big on about a half bushel of chili peppers! I had ordered some Habanero peppers from my Mexican produce seller and when I went to pick them up, I was told that he could not get any. He did pick up some long red and green chili's and let me have a half bushel for $5.00. I decided to make some fermented hot pepper sauce

I added 15 bulbs of fresh garlic that after it was peeled was about a quart of garlic.

I also added several red bell peppers

After chopping up the peppers it filled my 6 gallon bucket to probably the 4 gallon level.

I mixed up the salt brine, added enough to just cover the pepper and garlic mixture, placed a clean plate over the top and weighted it down with a 1 gallon jar filled with water.
Thank you RegionRat for the link and the inspiration.

1228131236.jpg

1228131229a.jpg

1228131251.jpg

1228131312.jpg

pjd...that first pic is but only one pepper....those are cayennes, i have grown them every year for the last 30 years.....i make pepper sauce and tobasco every year.

pjd...that first pic is but only one pepper....those are cayennes, i have grown them every year for the last 30 years.....i make pepper sauce and tobasco every year.

Thanks James, I thought they might be cayennes but they are a lot larger than any I've grown in Pennsylvania. I was sure happy to get them.

Ok Phil those pictures look so good and so does the sauce you're making. Man, I can't stand peeling one garlic as much as I like them. You must have a trick or a lot of patience. A few years ago I went to a market and bought every king of pepper they sold including the hottest. Cleaned and cut them up then put them in the dehydrator. After drying I put them in the blender and ground them up into a powder. That made the very best Italian spice I ever had. The wife wasn't happy with the way the house smelled though as I did it in the kitchen. That was the day Willy yelled at me for not washing my hands. LOL

Dan,,,give ya a little hint on how to peel your garlic,,seperate it from the bulb and place into a glass jar with a lid, put the lid on and shake it up and down until the garlic is free of its peel. Doesn't take long and you can do as little or as much as you want.

Dan,,,give ya a little hint on how to peel your garlic,,seperate it from the bulb and place into a glass jar with a lid, put the lid on and shake it up and down until the garlic is free of its peel. Doesn't take long and you can do as little or as much as you want.

Really! I never heard of that before, very cool. Now to get the onion and garlic stink off of your hands. Rub your hands on the stainless steel sink. It works but we redid our kitchen a few years ago and got rid of the ss sink. I still miss it every time I cut onions.

Peeling Garlic

When I use fresh garlic in fermented recipes I never peel it. I just cut the garlic heads in half and throw em in.

If you want to peel it fast here are two ways.

I use the second method.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvemG91NrzI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc7w_PGSt9Y[/ame]

RR

Last edited:
i use the shake method on garlic.
pjd...there is a bunch of different strains of cayennes, i have about 10...some are large some small.....but still a cayenne...

i love my home made tobasco.

pjd, looks like you have a plan!... Keep up posted. Remeber, it didnt happen if you do take a picture.

If you are interested I use these bottle for gifts. Make sure you order the plastic caps and the 'Dripper Fitment Orifice Reducers.'

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/10-oz-Woozy-24-414-CT-P715.aspx

RR

RegionRat.... Look at post 48 there are 4 pictures there. The whole time I was making it I kept hearing that in my head "it didnt happen if you do take a picture"
Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

RegionRat.... Look at post 48 there are 4 pictures there. The whole time I was making it I kept hearing that in my head "it didnt happen if you don't take a picture"
Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Sorry, typo on my part. Corrected....

I saw the pics you posted. They look great!!.

I was saying that to encourage others to post pictures.

RR

Sorry, typo on my part. Corrected....

I saw the pics you posted. They look great!!.

I was saying that to encourage others to post pictures.

RR

RegionRat, I just checked out your link to Fillmore containers. I bookmarked their site. Thanks again for the link.

Latest posts

Back