Other Tempranillo or Rioja kit suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deboard

Reaction score
I've just recently discovered that spanish wines are fantastic, I had a tempranillo about a month ago that was wonderful, and tonight I had my first Rioja, which is also pretty good. I had another spanish wine about 2 years ago, and apparently I chose poorly, because it was awful, can't remember the name or type, but it closed my mind to spanish wine until I had that tempranillo recently.

I see there are a few tempranillo kits out there, and a rioja or two as well. Anyone have a favorite? I'm looking for suggestions!

If you can still find a wine expert Spanish Matador Trio blend that would be great. It was this years limited release. I have it aging. RJ Spagnols offered a TORO blend last year. The TORO was fantastic. Likely not longer available but they do have a winery series Tempranillo Cabernet with skins. I think that would be an excellent choice. Its in stock at FVW.

Do you think that the Matador Trio blend is better than Tempranillo with skins? I want to do a Spanish kit, but not sure what one. The Matador Trio is still available here.

Wookey

Wookey
IMHO the new skins kits from WE are among the best kits I have done. That being said, the WE skins kits are brand new so we (I) must reserve final judgement for at least a year. I have done two, one was bottled in late spring and the other a month ago. At every tasting along the process I was greatly impressed with the product. The Petit Verdot was drinkable at bottling and would have been among one of my favoritesi. I have not tasted a bottle yet but might just do so tonight.

The Matador Trio is a limited Release and I have learned that if one looks interesting to me and is a varietal I like, I get it. Here's what happens otherwise . . . You read about it when the company releases it and you're intrigued. As you look at releases from other companies your wish list grows. you narrow it down and make your reservations/purchases. A year later you read on the forums how wonderful the kit you reluctantly dropped from your list is. And you read about all the medals and ribbons it won. Then you (along with many many others) begin the frantic web search for the last existing kit that never sold at some obscure wine making shop.

So, bottom line GET BOTH. If that's out of the question and you anticipate making several kits per year (3 or more) get the Matador now and make the Skins kit in a couple months.

Lastly to everyone: you ought to post what you've done in the thread below and link to it in your signature. When we answer questions it's a great reference about your experience and likes. Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
I can confirm the tempranillo with skins is awesome even from young. Mine has yet had a chance to age but with the oak cubes and the intense grape pack flavour it is already smooth and delicious.

If your buying commercial the 2001 and 2004 Rioja have a great score

I think I'll definitely get the WE Selection International Spanish Tempranillo w/ grape skins. I can get that one from my shop. I have two juice buckets and a CC red mountain trio in the pipe right now, but this one will probably be my next purchase.

I can also get the WE Selection International Spanish Rioja. no skins. Anyone done this one?

Wookey
I have not tasted a bottle yet but might just do so tonight.

So . . . Pitched yeast Oct. Of 2011. Bottled Apr. Of 2012. Nose is existant but mild, not bad at all for only 5 months in bottle. Most kits have zero nose for almost two years. Obviously missing is KT that young WE kits are sometimes critized for. Extremely dark almost inky color. Less fruit than at bottling and a bit of hot alcahol. Airating decanting made considerable change. Fruit comes foward with cherries and oak. Advertised as early drinker may be legit. Cant wait to submit this to the Winemakers Mag competition next spring.

My Selection International Spanish Tempranillo w/ grape skins was bottled Feb 7 2014, stored at 55 degrees. We opened a split yesterday, it was excellent. I gave a friend a bottle as well, he had it w days ago said it was great! I'm real proud of this one, lots of oak, great with steak or grilled foods, does not pair well with Italian foods like red sauce.

I think I'll definitely get the WE Selection International Spanish Tempranillo w/ grape skins. I can get that one from my shop. I have two juice buckets and a CC red mountain trio in the pipe right now, but this one will probably be my next purchase.

I can also get the WE Selection International Spanish Rioja. no skins. Anyone done this one?

We've made both the Sel. Int Spanish Tempranillo w/skins, and the Rioja. The Rioja is noticeably lighter than the Temp. It didn't have much of anything going on for the first year, but it got better and better right up to about two year mark when we opened the last of our batch.
The Temp. was drinkable at a year, but really didn't impress much until it hit about 18 months, and it's been getting better since. It went from being a wine I noted as "not to buy again" 12 months out to one I would definitely consider again at 18 months+.
The Rioja was pleasant towards the end, but the Temp. is worth the extra cash, especially considering either one requires an investment of at least a year and a half of aging to really come into their own.

I've got my third WE Tempranillo with grapeskins cooking right now. I haven't been able to get a whole case to a year old yet.

Patience, patience, patience... You're missing out. Stash away some of the batch for at least a year and a half.

Mine hasn't made it a year either LOL!!!

My bad :)

I did that a lot when I first started this hobby :dg. Now that I have a decent inventory of wines from 12 to 24 months+, I'm really regretting all that wine I drank way too soon, because it gets so much better with time. My solution to this problem was to make way more than I could possibly need, therefore it will have no choice but to sit around and age...

Patience, patience, patience... You're missing out. Stash away some of the batch for at least a year and a half.
Every fall I pick a couple of bottles from cases that I have, and make a "stash case" that gets hidden for 2 years. For some reason, there's no Tempranillo in either box. It'll get in the 2015 box!

Mine is now at 18 months aged at 55 degrees in perfect environment and still have about 20 bottles, it's drinking like a $15 Tempranillo. Really good stuff and has great taste, light to medium body with nice oak. It made our "do it again" list!!!

Back