In need of a good filter system

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southlake333

Reaction score
I'm interested in filtering my wine. It seems I always end up with some amount of sediment left when racking and eventually end up with a small amount of sediment in half of my bottles. So, I'd obviously prefer a crystal clear and polished looking wine so friends and family can ooo and aaahhh at my amazing creations. ;)

So anyway, I see practically no reviews online for wine filters and very little information on what most people use (maybe because most people don't filter?). The only options I've really come across are the Buon Vino Mini Jet Filter, the Buon Vino Super Jet Filter or another pump like the All In One Wine Pump with some kind of home made filter attachment.

I would also like to add that I do most of my secondary fermentation in Better Bottles so vacuum pressure on the bottle itself will be a concern.

Could someone please suggest a good filter/pump that will suit my needs along with an explanation as to why? Thanks!

I can't comment on a filter system for you, but if you have sediment in your bottles, that is an indication you are bottling too early. Once you rack off the sediment and no sediment falls out for 3 months is a good indicator that you are ready for bottling.

I had the mini filter and was happy with the results. It does leak a bit so you won't want to do this in your kitchen.

I ended up with the enolmatic and now filter and bottle in one step. This set up will cost you about $700. This works off vacuum.

If I was to do it over today, i would go with the "All in One" and the whole house filter. I would cost me a fraction of the cost I have in the Enolmatic. Did you read all the bad reviews about the All in One? Oh, wait a minute, there aren't any.

If you want my opinion on what I would do if I were in your shoes, here it is. Start buying glass carboys. Continue to use the Better Bottles for secondary fermentation but age in glass. Call Steve and ask about the All in one and the whole house filtration system. Now you can bottle and filter in one step. I filter everything I bottle.

One last question to ask yourself. What is this sediment you're seeing in the bottles. Is it from the fruit or is it tataric acid? Tataric acid requires cold stabilization.

One last question to ask yourself. What is this sediment you're seeing in the bottles. Is it from the fruit or is it tataric acid? Tataric acid requires cold stabilization.

If I had to guess, I'd say its yeast. But it appears a month after bottling even when waiting 2 weeks after clearing using Sparkolloid. The wine looks completely clear when I bottle though. I am probably mixing in some of the sediment when I rack which ends up re-settling in the bottles. I'm hoping that adding a filter to the mix will prevent this.

I also do not have a method to cold stabilize. How do most people do this? Put the carboy into a spare fridge? If only I had the room...

Last edited:
Although new to winemaking we purchased the Allinone and are very pleased with the quality and price. For an extra $25 or so we also purchased the Pentek filter assembly. There are lots of threads about how to use this setup and everyone seems very pleased.

I'm interested in filtering my wine. It seems I always end up with some amount of sediment left when racking and eventually end up with a small amount of sediment in half of my bottles. So, I'd obviously prefer a crystal clear and polished looking wine so friends and family can ooo and aaahhh at my amazing creations. ;)

So anyway, I see practically no reviews online for wine filters and very little information on what most people use (maybe because most people don't filter?). The only options I've really come across are the Buon Vino Mini Jet Filter, the Buon Vino Super Jet Filter or another pump like the All In One Wine Pump with some kind of home made filter attachment.

I would also like to add that I do most of my secondary fermentation in Better Bottles so vacuum pressure on the bottle itself will be a concern.

Could someone please suggest a good filter/pump that will suit my needs along with an explanation as to why? Thanks!

Check this link http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f5/filtering-17493/

Start with Wade #9. He got a very good filtering system...

Alrighty, I went ahead and ordered the All In One Wine pump from Steve as well as a whole house filter system with some 5 and 1 micron filters. Now on to my next dilemma...my original batch of Tinkleberry Tea (bottled 15 days from pitching the yeast) has a ton of nasty sediment. Yeah, I should have thought this through initially but Dave just got me so darn excited about that 15 day mark...lol.

Anyway, here's a picture of what it looks like now (2 months or so later). What size filter should I use to get this out? I'm guessing the 5 micron.

sediment-1979.jpg

OK, Im sorry to tell you that 2 weeks after clearing is many months too early to bottle despite any kit instructions!!!!! Yes they say it can be bottled then and can be drunk that early but this is the result of doing so. For white and Rose wines you really need to bulk age them about 4 months but with bigger reds you will need at least 6 months minimum and even that is really way too early! I and many people bulk age 6 months for whites and around a year or more for reds and during this time you will need to add more sulfite about every 4 months.

This wasn't a kit, it was quad berry skeeter pee. Since most people seem to drink it quickly, I'm guessing very few others have seen what happens to it after a few months. In any case, I just need to know what size filter to use in order to get this stuff out. Or should I instead dump it all back into a carboy and let it settle there? I'd be afraid of ruining the wine if I went that route. Open to suggestions.

I'd get it back into a Carboy for a couple weeks. Let everything settle out. Then rack off the sediment and bottle.

To answer your question, a 5 would clean some of it up but I would put it through a 1 for that polished looked.

Latest posts

Back