Moving the Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoaniB

Reaction score
One of the things I have to be conscious of in wine-making is that one day, in its infinite wisdom, the Army will move my household.

Is bottled and aging wine safe to transport? Should I start to give it away once the dreaded 'posted' word becomes a fixture? Has anyone experienced the posting move?

Joani, moving bottles is not an issue. I would make sure you always have enough empty wine cases to keep what ever inventory you have in. This will save you some future head aches. I would just becareful at this point not to have too much going at one time in case you have to pick up and go in a hurry. Moving full carboys would be an issue so timing will be everything. If the wine is fully fermented and has been sitting for a month, I would just bottle it and transport in cases. When you arrive at your new destination you could always dump it back into a carboy and let anymore sediment fall from the wine that might need to. Before bottling I would also sulfite it on the heavy side.

You can also source foam packed wine moving boxes that will hold 12 bottles per box. Most moving companies carry them or can get them. Had military friends that just moved cross country, and moved 700+ bottles. They had every bottle survive the trip.

Back