Moving my wine...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerShannon

Reaction score
So I need to move a couple hundred bottles of wine and the liquor store is being stingy with the wine boxes, any one have any ideas? I thought about making several trips from point a to point b but soon to be ex says he would like me to take everything in one trip.

That's sucks,

Find any kind of boxes or do you have a winery close by to score some? Maybe find some " will work for wine" to help. Not sure if you are close by any of us or not?

Good luck to ya

Packing boxes can be bought at Big Box home improvent stores. Plastic milk crates if available. worse come to worse, just load em into your vehicle and layered with open blankets till you get to point b. I agree a winery would be a good place to look also, explain your situation.

Visit a winery. Is there a time constraint as of when you must go?

There aren't any wineries nearby and I have to move Sunday. I got some small bike boxes and bubble wrap from work that will work pretty well I think. Thanks everyone!

I think I would lay them flat in a box and place blankets in between them so that the bottles cannot roll or bang into each other. I think you will be okay as long as you protect the bottles from breakage.

milk crates as mentioned would be the ideal if you dont have wine bottle boxes...sturdy and you can insert protective measures, plus they are easily stackable...if you just end up needing boxes period, then try gas station convenience stores..1-2 times a week they get their cig deliveries and throw the boxes away...we used to throw 20-30 away twice per weel

Shannon, good luck on your move. Hope you find your boxes!!
smiley9.gif

Get the plastic totes place 1st layer upright 2nd layer invert inbetween

Thanks everyone! I'm going to Olive Garden today and if all else fails, I'll send all of my coworkers into the liquor store one by one to get a wine box
smiley2.gif

Shannon,

Some of the liquor stores close to where I live/work have empty cases sitting up front for people that purchase a mixed case of wine. I will buy a bottle of wine now and then and just ask if I can take a couple of cases and have yet to be turned down, especially if the stock is high.

In addition, Costco tends to have lots of boxes. While they may not have wine case boxes in their original form, they may have some other boxes that will work if you wrap the bottles in something that will preventglass-on-glass contact (those green plastic web things from the liquor store,strips of cardboard, paper towels, etc.).

Hopefully the liquor store or even a grocery store will have empty case wine boxes for you in lieu of some kind of shippers.

- Jim

U-Haul has boxes designed for glawssware with internal dividers that might work. Don't know how much they cost.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they are usually very generous about wine boxes. If not, maybe a similar retailer or a Sam's Club or Costco?

Best of luck with the move.

Bikershannon lives in Utah, We have no Trader Joe's. And our Costco, Sam's club and grocery stores do not sell wine.

Makes it tough....

Use sheets, blankets, towels. Place them in milk crates, dresser drawers, any big tubs or picnic coolers. Get creative. Boxes are everywhere. Maybe not the best size but people everwhere have boxes and get ride of them every recycle day.

Laundry baskets, wicker baskets. Wine primary's etc. You can do this.

I have friends out rounding up more boxes today and I got some from work. Now if I could just ditch work somehow today to get packed before tomorrow! Thanks for the help and suggestion s.

Back