What are you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW 50 lashings for me. I did not taste it but the smell of alcohol was very strong in the garbage bag. Dang I never even thought about saving it. I just wanted to get those carboys cleaned out. I tasted the wine and the chocolate was very prominent so I am hoping it mellow out a bit. Definitely needs sweetened also.

Just 49 for now but we are watching you! did the almonds come through at all? That is a most experimental batch you have going there. Mind if I askl how much is riding on this my friend $?

Wade said:
Just 49 for now but we are watching you! did the almonds come through at all? That is a most experimental batch you have going there. Mind if I askl how much is riding on this my friend $?

The almonds came through but I am not sure if in a good way yet. The batch with just chocolate seems ok with a chocolate taste upfront right now. the batch with almonds and chocolate has a definite different taste and seems very bitter. A half pound of each may be too much. Time will tell.
Six gallons of cherry $36.00
one lb of dark bitter sweet chocolate $10.00 plus s/h
1/2 pound of raw almonds (then toasted) I forget the cost

I used to develop and manufacture fragranced candles for my chain of card and gift shops. Blending scents and flavors on the surface seemed simple and fun. But like most things was quite complex and at times frustrating. Most challenging were any blends using almond scent. I believe now that we like almond taste better than almond scent. Can you comment on the "nose" of the almond/chocolate?

Today I already bottled my
2009 Dolcetto 6 gal
2010 Plum from Can

both came out great

ttortorice said:
Blending scents and flavors on the surface seemed simple and fun. But like most things was quite complex and at times frustrating. Most challenging were any blends using almond scent. I believe now that we like almond taste better than almond scent. Can you comment on the "nose" of the almond/chocolate?

The nose on the chocolate was very fragrant but the nose on the choc/almond was very mild. Thanks for mentioning that as I do not normally check this stuff after fermentation (unless if Wade is on my ass) and was quiet surprised as to the mildness after such a bitter taste.

I have declared all out war on the fruit flies! With four bottle traps and two fly strips they still like the smell of all the fermenting primaries. Today when I attacked with my Ridgid WDV 6.25/16 single barrel and got em all within seconds. GOTCHA YOU LITTLE BA%$*#'S

None of the primaries are ready to rack yet so I built a protector for my new high brix hydometer.
DSCN2280.jpg

Running out later to get a few new primary buckets.

Dan, chocolate and almonds can take a while for the bitter taste to go away. Be patient and in a couple of years you're gong to really enjoy these wines.
A couple of years ago I made a cherry chocolate mead and it is finally losing the bitter taste and becoming very, very good.

Ridgid WDV 6.25/16 single barrel and got em all within seconds

????????????????? You got some splaining to do Dan...........

Picture?

Today after running errands with and for the head of the household I will be bottling my MM Rosso D'Avola. Strayed from instructions by adding a pound of Red Flame raisins, one French Oak spiral and using a modified version of Tim V's 5-20-40-90 schedule. The last 50 days will have to be spent in bottle as I plan to give most of this as a birthday gift in a few weeks. Too bad when I give it I will have to tell them not to drink any till next year's birthday. I do plan to open one bottle at the party and explaining that the wine is not yet ready but to enjoy a taste as a "barrel test".

Let us know your impressions of the leftover glass after bottling. I will be bulk aging mine for another 4-6 months probably.

Today was work. Then helping w/ 5K run, then helping with "Fall Fest", then helping with refreshments ant the end of the Halloween "walk thru"
barely enough time to have a beer till its over.

Today I Built two more wine racks. Not for bulk storage but for my library. I maxed out the 50 display spaces on the racks I bought last xmas and didn't really want to spend the money on matching those. I will display pictures once installed as the stain is drying right now on them. Each one will hole about 18 bottles, so that sould be good for a long while. I only display one of each thing I make and not any dupicates.

Wade said:
So you only have 36 batches made?????
smiley36.gif

Naw I am saying I have made 50 different ones and filled up those spaces and now I am making more room for current and future wines I have not made or displayed yet. Silly wade! Also ordered a Sam's club rack today

ibglowin said:
Let us know your impressions of the leftover glass after bottling. I will be bulk aging mine for another 4-6 months probably.

20101016_213309_SR_vino_sicilia.jpg

Link to the label. http://forum.finevinewines.com//forum_posts.asp?TID=10335&KW=rosario&PN=3

The color is dark ruby, nose is faint. Taste is hot with alcohol SG was .993. the oak is nice now, I added one French spiral. Kind of wish I had added 2 spirals, I kind of like oaky wines. A full fruit taste is not strong yet but noticeable behind the alcohol. Has a wonderful mouth-feel. There is a long hot finish that hopefully will become a long fruity finish.

Today I bottled a spiced pumpkin ale and then brewed up an orange hefeweizen. Made a batch of meatballs and sauce and then sat down with a glass of CC GSM ( 08 LE ). Now I'm catching up with all of you guys.

Latest posts

Back