citric acid.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
i have been searchung in vain to see how much citric acid is used to substitute for fresh lemon juice. Any help on this one please???

Fresh lemon juice is an outstanding source of vitamin C. However, much of this valuable vitamin is lost if the juice is left exposed to the air too long. Lemons are high in potassium, and rich in vitamin B1. Both lemons and limes contain 5 to 6 percent citric acid as compared with oranges, which contain only 1 to 1.5 percent, or grapefruit, which contain 1 to 2 percent. The lemon is classified as an acid fruit, along with other citrus fruits, cranberries, loganberries, loquats, pineapples, pomegranates, strawberries, and tamarinds.

I don't know if you know this or not, but please do not buy and use the lemon juice in those green bottles or in those plastic lemons. It won't taste good. If you want to use lemon juice, sqeeze the lemmons yourself.
I think the amount of citric acid in lemons might also be heavily dependent on the growing season conditions.

Fresh lemon juice is 5% citric acid and 95% flavor!
smiley4.gif

does any one hace a general idea of about how much citric acid is used when fresh lemons are called for

What is the purpose ofthe lemons? Is it just to add acidity in the form of citric acid? I would say lemons addmuchmore than just citric acid and not sure if it would even be a substitute at all.

If you are looking just for a number than take the measurement of the lemon juice and multiply it by 5% (0.05) and this would be the amount of citric acid to use to be equivalent to the citric acid in lemon juice.

50 grams of lemon juice = 2.5 grams of citric acid (50 x 0.05 = 2.50

I have a book that says you can use 1 tsp Citric acid for one lemon–I
buy sour salt it's about 1/4 the price of Citric Acid. And, yes
don't use prepackaged lemon juice (in the green bottles) it contains
sulfites, which will kill your yeast! - and it doesn't taste like lemon
juice...

trex66 said:
I have a book that says you can use 1 tsp Citric acid for one lemon–I buy sour salt it's about 1/4 the price of Citric Acid. And, yes don't use prepackaged lemon juice (in the green bottles) it contains sulfites, which will kill your yeast! - and it doesn't taste like lemon juice...

i found that 1 tsp thing also
thanks for the reply

sorry for the long response time I was on vacation -I find sour salt in the ethnic section in my supermarket, I think it is a Jewish item since it says it is kosher. The only ingredients listed on the bottle is Citric Acid

Latest posts

Back