Question about potassium metabisulfite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockofNJ

Junior
Reaction score
Potassium metabisulfite is the same as campden tablets but in powder form. I purchase 2 oz of the stuff and it did not come with directions for use. I looked it up online and found a website that said 1/4 tsp per six gallons of juice. Do you really use that little? I have one gallon of cider I wanted to use it in so my question is how the heck do I measure out enough foe one gallon?

After fermentation is complete and you have racked off of the gross lees add 1/4 teaspoon of Potassium Metabisulfite to 5-6 gallons of wine. 4-6 weeks later when you rack off of the sediment from clearing you will add a pinch of P.M.

For a gallon batch you can guestimate as close as you can. Better to be a hair over than short. If you have a scale you can weigh the amount.

NEVER EVER BREATH IN THE POTASSIUM METABISULFITE! IT WILL BURN YOUR SINUS'S.

To measure out enough for 1 gallon, add 6oz of warm water to a measuring cup. Dissolve 1/4 tsp of meta in it and stir well. Add 1 ounce of this solution to your wine and dump the rest of it. Now you have an accurate measurement. I do this all the time.

Potassium metabisulfite is the same as campden tablets but in powder form. I purchase 2 oz of the stuff and it did not come with directions for use.

The best and the most accurate way is to make a 10% solution of K-meta which I always do .

You need to have a precise Scale to weigh it , a Beaker ( 250 ml ) and a Syringe ( 10 ml ) .

Weigh 0.7 Oz. of the powder and add it to the Beaker . Dissolve it in 100 ml of cold tap or distilled water and

top it up to 200 ml in the Beaker . Keep in mind that to stir and pour this solution always gently !

Now , you have a 10% solution of K-Meta and you can use it in order to add SO2 to your wine .

The SO2 concentration of this sulotion is about 57000 ppm and you can easily count each time how many

mililiters of this solution you will need to add to your Must or wine ( using the Syringe ) in order to have a

desired amount of SO2 in them .

Keep this solution in a closed container in a dark and cool place and it will work for you as long as one year .

Hector

Last edited:
Lighten up Rockof ... instead of complaining why don't you start the year of right and thank the fine folks that offered several good solutions.

Sorry

Sorry,

My bad. It seemed to me like the guy thought I was an idiot for not knowing someone had invented measuring spoons.

I apologize, I do respect the advice of those who have been at this a while and care to spend their valuable time answering my sometimes stupid questions.

I assure you, Wade nor anyone here thinks you are anything but an interested member wanting to make some wine ... or cider as may be the case.
Pretty friendly and respecting bunch here, better than most forums.

I apologize as well, didn't mean to stir things up, I just know Wade is not one to treat you with anything but respect.

This Chart has 1/4tsp. Potassium Metabisulfite weighing 1.6 gm.
1.6 gm / 6gal = 0.27 gm

So if you have a good gram scale you could add 0.27 gm Potassium Metabisulfite per gallon. You could also just use 1 Campden Tablet and be fine also.

Roughly, 0.27 gm of Potassium Metabisulfite would be about the same volume as that of a match head.
If you are somewhat close I doubt you will have any problem at all.

A little bit of Kmeta goes a long way. It's actually the fumes that stuns the wild (unwanted) yeast.
Don't forget to wait 24 hrs before adding your yeast.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Dan, I like your method. Elegant simplicity along with accuracy. So, after mixing the 1/4 teaspoon with the 6 ounces of water, if you have X gallons of wine, you use X ounces of the mixture. Sehr klug!

I use the following formula:
grams of metabisulfite to add = ______ppm x 0.00657 x _______gallons of wine, juice or must
Thus, for a 50 ppm addition to 5 gallons of wine, you will add: 50 x 0.00657 x 5 = 1.64 g of metabisulfite.

taken from = http://accuvin.com/pHSO2Links.pdf

1/4 tsp = 1.6 grams

thanks steve

Lot of ways to skin a cat ...

... if I hadn't just purchased a nice little gram scale, I'd go for Dan's method also. It's very simple yet probably more accurate than using an accurate gram scale.

Thanks

Wow, you guys are great!

Good advice and fast answers, I'm sure to be back here often as I make my way out of kit wines and onto new ventures!!

I have a 6 gallon set up (primary bucket and secondary carboy) is 5 gallon the standard? I read a few recipes on here and they also used 5 gallons in them.

Should I have purchased a 5 gallon carboy?

RockofNJ,

A 6 gal setup seems to be preferred by most here.
I think most kits are 23 liter so should fill a 6 gal carboy nicely and perhaps enough left to top up after racking.
If not using a kit, you can always adjust your recipe for 6 gal.

I'd say you're set.

Latest posts

Back