Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Wine Making from Grapes > Harford Vineyard - Estimated Grape Arrivals

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old Today, 09:27 AM   #111
ceeaton
In my terrible twos of wine making

Feb 2015
Liked 2348 Times on 1334 Posts
Likes Given: 2565

Nope, that's the way they are. Makes a tasty blush dry or a lightly sweetened wine, my wife's friends favorite when we give it away. I try to finish it at 1.002 to 1.005 by back sweetening after the kmeta/sorbate addition. The color is deceiving, the body will be much different between the two. In reality, the color is much lighter this year than in last Fall's batch. All I can say is that I like it better than a commercial white zin hands down (same with my wife). Makes a nice fruity wine (lot's of berry flavors).

sour_grapes Likes This 
Old Today, 09:59 AM   #112
mainshipfred

Feb 2017
Liked 235 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 380

So did you get a White Zin this year and if so are you saying it is more of a blush then what I have? BTW, Theresa just called and said she has 2 more buckets of White Zin and is going to give me one. I thought they would take care of it.

heatherd Likes This 
Old Today, 10:04 AM   #113
mainshipfred

Feb 2017

Even thought you stopped it when you did, did you still feel you had to backsweeten it. Mine is pretty sweet as it is.

Old Today, 10:31 AM   #114
sour_grapes
Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Sep 2013
Liked 3378 Times on 2136 Posts
Likes Given: 3681

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeaton View Post
All I can say is that I like it better than a commercial white zin hands down (same with my wife).
You like your white zin better than you like your wife?

mainshipfred Likes This 
Old Today, 10:39 AM   #115
mainshipfred

Feb 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour_grapes View Post
Too funny, you could read it like that. Hope she has a sense of humor or doesn't read the forum or maybe she already knows.

Old Today, 12:50 PM   #116
ceeaton
In my terrible twos of wine making

Feb 2015
Liked 2348 Times on 1334 Posts
Likes Given: 2565

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainshipfred View Post
So did you get a White Zin this year and if so are you saying it is more of a blush then what I have? BTW, Theresa just called and said she has 2 more buckets of White Zin and is going to give me one. I thought they would take care of it.
I got it both last year and this year and this years batch looks like yours. It may not look like white zin but it does taste pretty darn good. I'll be disappointed if I get a lighter colored one next year.

Quote:
Even thought you stopped it when you did, did you still feel you had to backsweeten it. Mine is pretty sweet as it is.
I didn't stop it, I let it go dry. After the initial Kmeta and letting it clear on it's own, I add Kmeta and Sorbate, let sit for 2 to 10 weeks, then start adding a simple sugar mixture (sterilized water heated with added table sugar), let sit a few days, take a sample and cool it down and see if the boss (my wife) likes it. When she says "could use a teeny bit more", I stop, it will seem to get sweeter as it ages in my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour_grapes View Post
No, but she might like it better than she likes me, but puts up with me if I keep making her wine she likes (and that is usually too sweet for my tastes, though she's slowly coming to the "dry side").
Quote:
Too funny, you could read it like that. Hope she has a sense of humor or doesn't read the forum or maybe she already knows.
She does have a sense of humor, she married me!

People Like This