Frontenac Grape Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fuegofan...fantastic...i guess i misread your post...i thought it was all out in the cold for only 8 hours...two weeks is reasonable coupled w a long hot summer...long hot summers certainly help...i have told many around here that i may not ever again see such a growing season as we had at our vineyard in 2010

do you note cherry in your wine?

No cherry, yet. What I did detect, back in October, was a flavor that reminded me of the inside of the skin of a dark plum. I have to say, it's easier to taste by myself--with others around I get distracted and it's hard to sift through what that smell and flavor remind me of. I'm looking forward to that opportunity when I bottle it this May or June.

As to the growing season, Indiana was luckier than Iowa--which had a Mother's Day frost which really hurt a ton of vineyards. I see that you're in New Hampshire. Next time I visit my sister in Boston, I'll try to swing up your way.

fair enough...and if my Hollis Vino blend is ready we shall share some

Grapeman have you found 71B-1122 to contribute anything to the wine or does it seem to be a "neutral" yeast regarding flavor/aroma. I'm looking to try and work with some different yeasts to help tame some of the high acidity in frontenac gris and la crescent that I have growing.

I have read that this particular yeast help reduce acid in the must. They actually recommend using this yeast if your TA is over 1.0
Although I don't have any personal experience with this, its just what I have read. Good Luck

Let me know just how dumb an idea this is for Frontenac.
My goal is to make a port style Frontenac with out adding the brandy.

Adding sugar to get a SG of 1.130 (potential alcohol 18%)
Use 71B-1122 untill Sg of 1.030 13% alcohol.
Press off the the juice form the skins add some oak chips.
Then making a starter with K1V-1116 or EC-1118 then pitch.
Let ferment dry.
After 2 months rack off oak chips.
After a few more months
Since I live in MN put in unheated garage for a month to try and cold sabalize.
Then add sorbate wait 24 hours then back sweeten to taste.

The reason to start with the 71B-1122 is to help with the acid plus people said it is a good yeast for frontenac.

I do not know the Brix or acid levels on the grapes yet. I will know when they are ready to pick. Getting from a local vineyard.

Any comments good or bad?

I will typically make port wine from frontac or any red grape wine. I will first check the specific gravity around 1.90 and start cold masculation for a couple of days and then add yeast to it. Once the gravity drops to approx 1.60 add grain alachol to you reach 18-20 %

So to make things more simple - starting possible alachol is at 12% and I add straight alachol (grain 200 proof ) once I reach a 4% residual sugar and increase alachol until I get between 18-20% which will kill off all the yeast.
It is best if you can add oak to the alachol prior to starting, to add better flavor and taste

good luck
steve

Steve,

That is the normal way to make a port. I want to try with out adding and other alachol.
K1V-1116 or EC-1118 both claim to be 18% tolerant so I think I can just forment dry and then back sweeten.

I have never tried it like that, I was always afraid that I would have high alcohol and thinned out wine (port ) not a heavy bodied port

try a batch and let us know

steve

Latest posts

Back