super kleer the kieselsol is white and gritty

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just went to use a pack of Super kleer and part A had crystalized also and appeared gritty. It was fine when I recieved it (bought 3) about a month ago. I used one 2 days ago and it was fine. It didn't freeze since I have had it. Who knows?

I shook it up and used it, (in my brother's sour cherry) will post results. Part b looks fine. Time to put in B.............. bye.:?

In 3 months at room temp it went bad? Thats strange. Let us know how it works. Ive onky seen one bad pack of this and it sure froze during delivery to me.

Well it did nothing overnight. I should have tossed it. Now I have suspended chemicals in three gallons of sour cherry. I think my only option is to get a fresh pack and hope it gathers everything on the way to the bottom.
Will entertain other options?
thanks!

Well it did nothing overnight. I should have tossed it. Now I have suspended chemicals in three gallons of sour cherry. I think my only option is to get a fresh pack and hope it gathers everything on the way to the bottom.
Will entertain other options?
thanks!

Give it a day or two to see what happens.

Give it a day or two to see what happens.

Its been 2 days and still no sediment. Unusual for super kleer, it usually works within hours. I have a fresh pack on deck but hate to keep adding undrinkables.
Thoughts anyone?
Thanks

Nothing has dropped out, not even the SuperKleer itself? Did you degas this wine good?

It has been degassed and cold stabilized.
Nothing has seemed to drop. I moved it to a warmer area yesterday thinking it would help. It's a shame because it was only slightly cloudy, should have left it longer. I wanted to get everything bottled before fishing started. I know............p,p,p. I will check it Friday after work and decide. I have never had superkleer not work, and quickly. Thanks for the help.

Added the fresh super kleer after work, went to the cellar to shrink the closures on the Traminette I bottled Sunday.When I checked the cherry about an hour later, there was already visible sediment. It may turn out ok after all. Pulled of a little for room and it tasted pretty good with some sugar sprinkled in.

Thanks for the help, next time I will toss the finings when in doubt.

When using Super Kleer do you put any warning on the wine labels for "shellfish allergic beware". If you give a bottle to someone. Just wondering because I just used it on a 7 gallon batch of cran/pom.

The proteins from the shellfish are gone so there is no worry there. Ive emailed SuperKleer many years ago dealing with this matter and they assured me for the purpose its meant for they would have to put a huge disclaimer or warning label on this product if there was any risk. the process used removes any possible proteins so all is good. (From a post by Wade)

Thanks Wade, I finally found a post that answered my question... YEA !!!

:hug:r

I was just this minute looking at a pack I got that was frozen and wondering weather it was OK, the stuff is real expensive, like $2.00, why was I even considering using the stuff. Thanks. bk

Latest posts

Back