Need more alcohol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I gave a friend a bottle of wine and he said it was fruit juice, no alcohol. I thought it was pretty good myself, it is very low in alcohol. Is there any way to increase the alcohol. Its' pear and I have 5 or 6 bottles left?

Semper Fi

I gave a friend a bottle of wine and he said it was fruit juice, no alcohol. I thought it was pretty good myself, it is very low in alcohol. Is there any way to increase the alcohol. Its' pear and I have 5 or 6 bottles left?

Semper Fi

I'm sipping on a glass of apple wine fortified with brandy. This was an experiment -- had a gallon of typical apple wine, about 11%, fortified it to ~18% with brandy, sweetened a bit to taste, and it's quite good.

I imagine pear would respond similarly to fortification. Do you have any idea of what the alcohol content is now? That would allow you to calculate how much brandy to add for a target % (with what's known as the Pearson Square). If it was my wine, I'd probably empty all of the bottles into a small primary, add brandy and sugar until it tastes good, then re-bottle.

I am fairly new to wine making and I have not done this to any wine yet but I do know of a member that has and that is Sirs try to pm him and ask him I know there are other here also that can help also so just hang in there and they will see your post and give you an answer have you tried the search feature on our forum

I have some pretty strong red grape fermiting now, could I mix it in with the grape after the grape finishes fermiting ?

Semper Fi

If you think it tastes good, keep the 5 or 6 bottles for yourself and enjoy it. Your friend obviously just wants high alcohol free booze. Keep what you have and let him find his own. I wouldn't mix the grape and pear together, it would ruin the pear and for what? A little more alcohol.

Thanks for the advice, I think I just keep on making like I like it and let the rest buy what they like. I just needed someone to tell me that. Thanks again

Semper Fi

Thanks for the advice, I think I just keep on making like I like it and let the rest buy what they like. I just needed someone to tell me that. Thanks again

Semper Fi

It's been said here before. We make wine to suit "our" tastes. We make it as dry or as sweet as we like it not how someone else likes it. In the end, it is you that has to be happy with your final product.

Way to go Bud make it the way you like it, thats always the thing to do you only gotta please yourself. Myself I like mine with more alcohol so I work mine to death, but I also like alot of flavor so I had to learn how to do both. Alot of people don't think you can have high alcohol and plenty of good flavor but it can and is done all the time. People who don't like alot of alcohol may not like my wine for that reason but I've never been givin a bottle back everyone says they got alot of the fruit/grape flavor even with all the alcohol.
Enjoy your wine the way you like it not how someone else does. Now if your making it for someone else thats different lol
Eddie

oh I can tell you how to fix your buds mooching off you for strong wine.... LOL
get half of one of your bottles and get you a pint of everclear (I know you can get it in TN.) and fix a bottle half and half everclear and wine tell him it's the only one you made, you hope he likes it.

Latest posts

Back