RES STAR PASTEUR RED...SLOW!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
I used Red Star Pasteur Red Yeast before and noticed the fermentation to be slower than other yeasts, but the wines turn out okay.

I just started a home grown grape wine and used this yeast...it is very slow starting [but it is going].....The house is warm as ever, the must was mixed as always....It's just slowly plugging along.

Anyone else ever noticed it with this yeast????

I used it on a couple batches of the wild, did notice it seemed to take longer, but results were as good as any Ive tried.

Ive had slow fermentations with quite a few different yeasts and some of them were notorious for being extreme fermenters. The 1 yeast that Ive always noticed was slow to start and ferment is Red Star Cotes Des Blanc.

Hey JW, What was your "Red Wine" made of? I had a bottle of it tonight and it was good, really enjoyed it.

Sorry for not following the topic NW......... I have ever used Red Start..... I have some, just never used it yet.

Jobe, it was wild, with Pasteur Red Yeast
smiley36.gif

Also, I'm off next couple of days, may bottle a few batches I have been aging, Ports style wild, Pinot Noir wild mix....get ready!Edited by: JWMINNESOTA

Well...I couldn't stand it any longer...took a reading this morning and the S.G. hadn't moved much on this wine...so I pitched old faithful Lalvin RC-212 and headed out for the lake...Came home to some fizzing.

Dug through the garbage bag to find the Red Star Pasteur Red packages deep in the bowels of the garbage...It was dated Jan 08.....I keep my yeasts in the fridge...these may have been around for awhile....

All is alive and well in the primaries.

Funny you should mention that NW.

I used RED STAR PREMIER CUVEE on my Raspberry and I'm on my 13th day of fermentation (slow and think it'll stop tomorrow)with tempsmaintaind at 76.
My Blackberry was the same yeast but took only five days to peeter out.

Must be the fruit huh.

I pitched Red Star Pasteur Red Yeast into another wine [Burgundy/Strawberry] last night...and it's happily fizzing this morning...It must have been the fruit or the packages....Those said they expired Jan 08...but I thought yeast was good for past expiration dates...On of life's mysteries.

Latest posts

Back