Sulfites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lmcirig

Reaction score
I'mreally excited to start making my first batch of wine. I ordered one of the starter kits from George, (thanks for your help!)and I've got my husband working on an area to store the wine
smiley2.gif

So I've been talking about it to anyone who will listen.
smiley36.gif
My father and cousin have both told me to try making the wine without sulfites, as this is what gives you a headache, blah blah blah... Apparently my fathers friend makes his wine without sulfites, and it tastes pretty darn good.

I've been reading some articles posted on here, and now I'm conflicted. I obviously don't want any type of contamination, so thats a concern. Also, when I was choosing a kit to start with, I noticed they all had "peak" dates. So now I'm wondering how long can you age wine without adding sulfites?

Does anyone here ever make wine without adding the sulfites? Whats your preference?

Others can fill you ion better than I, but you should follow directions and use all packets from the kit. That will give you the best results. The kit manufacturers don't use as many sulfites as the larger wineries generally do. If you don't plan on having any of a batch left for any more than 2 years, you don't need to add additional K-Meta or Campdens. This will give you much lower values than store bought wine, but it will remain safe. If you plan to age more than tqo years, than an extra 1/4 tsp per 6 gallon batch will give you extended time in the bottle.

Everybody has heard that it is the sulfites that give the headaches, but many say it isn't so. I used to get headaches when drinking wine from the store, but never do anymore since starting making my own.While you get started, just follow the directions exactly and it will turn out just fine.

Good luck with your first kit!
smiley4.gif

Thanks
smiley1.gif
I'm planning on following the instructions. I guess I don't get headaches anyway- unless I drink the whole bottle by myself
smiley9.gif

Sulfites do not cause headaches. If they were the cause, then hard liquor would not cause hangovers, because there are no sulfites in hard liquor - the alcohol is the preservative.

Alcohol is converted in the liver to acetaldehyde (close cousin to formaldehyde), which is then carried through the bloodstream to the lungs, where it is released. Acetaldehyde is what a breatholyzer tests for. It is the retained acetaldehyde in the blood, that builds up too fast for the lungs to release, that causes headaches and hangovers.

appleman said:
Everybody has heard that it is the sulfites that give the headaches, but many say it isn't so.

That was said totally tongue in cheek
smiley36.gif

Everybody you talk to always says that about the headaches.

Latest posts

Back