First taste of homemade wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaluba

Reaction score
Happy New Year to every one. I just got back from my party. An older gentleman brought a bottle of muscadine over for his lady friend and himself. I had to try it. So i got a swig. The only good that came out of it at this point was the color. It tasted like a nail polish remover smelled. Whoooo. I was almost ruined. Then i realized it may have not even aged yet.Some people just arent blessed with the knowledge that come from FVW discussion forum. I hope and pray that since i am still a rookie, im not getting into something i wont enjoy.
smiley36.gif
Ha i doubt it. Im sure yall wine tastes wonderful. I just couldnt figure were this man went wrong. Ican shoot hard liquor and be less offended. I cant wait till my raisin wine wine is finished. Im thinking i want to incorporate other flavors. Like maybe banana or something mellow like chocolate. Any suggestions

Kaluba, I just love the raisin wine flavor the way it is. Go buy some cheap cordials or make some, but I wouldn't monkey with the wine. Make the wine for wine' sake and get your fun flavors somewhere else.

Luke, wait till its done and had some time under its belt to mellow, then if you feel the need to play with the flavoring, maybe try 1 of these.
Liquor Extracts
As far as that wine you tried, some people just dont know how to make a lower alc and or age it a little.

right on! ill just leave raisins to do their thing. How does the taste compare after its made?

Kaluba, don't be turned off from the Muscadine. You can make great wine from it. I am not a huge fan of Muscadine butone example of a winemaker that uses muscadine right is our fellow forum member Waldo. I got a couple bottles from him at Winestock and they were quite nice.

I have to say that the majority of muscadine I have tried made around here tastes just like you describe. It is sickly sweet and no acid adjustments are made. Most I taste here that mimic what you describe have an entirely too high alcohol content. Most old time winemakers around here do not check their SG or acid levels. They just crush/press "x" pounds of fruits and add "x" pounds of sugar, add water to desired leveland ferment it. Wine done.

Latest posts

Back