Chilean Chardonnay Bucket -input requested

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadvocate

Reaction score
Kind of an experiment and looking for you input.

I am going to grab a chardonnay juice bucket and do the following.
1. Add Opti-white and FT - Blanc.
2. Ferment with QA23
3. Co-innoculate with MLB CH 35 I think.

I bought 2 packs of Oak(descriptions below) and wanted to know which you would use and when(during fermentation or after during aging). I was originally going to ferment then add the oak and let it age for few months. Then I thought I may add it at the beginning of fermentation, kind of like fermenting in an oak barrel.

Thanks for your input.

Tuscan Oak Blend

Rich and balanced. Medium and heavy toast American oak lends a rich flavor profile of sweet vanilla, toffee, caramel, and a light roasted smokiness. Medium and heavy toast French oak adds a subtle spicy, chocolate character and a bold yet balanced tannin structure. This package is designed for use in a six gallon batch and the whole pack must be used to achieve the intended results.

West Coast Blend
Big flavor, big impact. Medium and medium plus American oak impart a spectrum of intense flavors including vanilla, toasted coconut, toffee, caramel, and coffee. French medium toast lends a hint of spice and a deep mouth feel, giving the wine a solid tannin back bone to round out the flavor.

Back