Who has been pruning?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes if the vine grows well this year and makes it to the top wire by some time in early to mid July pinch the tip off near the wire and that will force some lateral shoots to grow which then later can be used to lay down the cordons. Don't rush into laying them down because they could break. After they get a couple feet long gently bring them down to the wire and loosely fasten. That will get them growing along the wire. If the vine doesn't make it to the wire by then just let it continue to grow and make your cut next spring to do the same thing.

I finished up my pruning today. (90 or so vines) After pruning i sprayed with serenade. Ive got high hopes this year!

Here's hoping the Serenade does its job for you. I used it once on tomatoes and lost them all to blight! At least that year I only had a hundred or so plants in the home garden.

I finished my pruning about a week ago. For all the years I've been doing this, i've settled on using baling twine to tie my vines to trellis, and while it works, there has to be a better way! I would like to hear some suggestions as to what everyone else uses, and is happy with. The poly twine is like working with spring wire! Thanks for any help!

I have always used the stretchy tie tape. Last for years.

garden-tie-tape.jpg

I finished my pruning about a week ago. For all the years I've been doing this, i've settled on using baling twine to tie my vines to trellis, and while it works, there has to be a better way! I would like to hear some suggestions as to what everyone else uses, and is happy with. The poly twine is like working with spring wire! Thanks for any help!

I use the same as Mike. My vineyard shop sells in in cases of ten rolls. I also purchased a tapener. Love it. I hand tie the bigger shoots and cordons but the tapener is great for quickly tyeing shoots to the upper wires.

The tapener works alright for temporary fastening but won't hold any load to speak of. Tying with it is better for that or I use rubber ties which are quick, stretchy and not too expensive in small amounts. I use the ones that are called trunk-fix because they hold up about 3 years before breaking down.
https://www.midwestvineyardsupply.com/ProductList.asp?categoryid=3&subcatid=103&cat=Ghent+Tree%2DFix+and+related+products&Type=False

Tree-Fix #G250 - 5 Kg bags = 11lbs. -- 2,640 App. count - 2.5''= 6 cmQuantity:

Price: $135.00
Tree-Fix #G250 - 1 Kg bags = 2.2lbs. -- 528 App. count - 2.5" = 6cmQuantity:

Price: $34.00
Trunk-Fix- GTF275 5Kg = 11lbs --2,200 App. count = 2.75'' = 7.0cmQuantity:

Price: $135.00
Trunk-Fix- GTF275 1Kg = 2.2lbs --440 App. count = 2.75" = 7.0cmQuantity:

Price: $34.00

or this one for shorter term and a bit smaller
https://www.orchardvalleysupply.com/collections/plant-training/products/cane-fix-12-band

I only have two vines, but I didn't know what to use to tie with that would stay either and that is what I used was zip ties. Borrowed them my husband, he has lots of different colors and I use a different color for every year, so I know how growth is going.

I truly appreciate you posting pictures of how you guys prune. Because my vines did not come all nice looking (like how they show in a book) with just one main branch but like three so I have never had the heart to cut them down to one. They had monstrous growth last year and are now over half way up my garage. So when the 6 ft snow bank uncovers them, I have lots of work to do.

Good luck with them. 6 foot snow bank huh? We still have some of them also. Got another 3 inches of sticky snow yesterday and overnight. The vines looked like a winter wonderland but I didn't want to try to get out to them with snow over my knees everywhere.

Thank you for the suggestions fellas. Like I said, I'd beeen using. the twine since I started, and found that by going around the shoot and wire three or four times, it created a larger area contacting the vine, and supported the vine nicely. It was just so hard to work with. I like the tape idea, and the links you posted Grapeman, are a big help! Thanks again.

Back