What about old supplies?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sshimatzki

Junior
Reaction score
What supplies SHOULDN'T I keep?

My mother-in-law liked my wine when we just visited over summer and dug out a box that hadn't been touched in about 10 years. It had a hydrometer, bungs, and other misc. hardware from when she made wine with her hubby.

It also had Blueberry extract flavoring, tannins, acid, yeast nutrients, cam tablets, potassium sorbates, and some one step cleaner powder... And a yeast!

lalvin k1-v1116 saccharomyces cerevisiae I.N.R.A Montpellier
(exp 02-2006!)

So I guess what I'm really looking for in this question/thread is what is the life expectancy of these items? I have some stuff from last year, but more is always better unless it's bad stuff to keep or useless or poison now, etc..

ok, I really doubt the yeast is good, but... :dg wouldn't hurt to make a starter for it before I brew and see how it goes but I don't even know what this yeast is good for.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
-Steve

A lot would depend on how everything was stored, i.e. cool, dry, well sealed, etc. The equipment is probably okay but I would soak the bungs in a K-meta solution. The one step cleaner is probably okay. Everything else goes into the wine and for my money, I would pitch it all. You are not talking about a lot of money in any case, maybe $20-25 and to take a chance on spoiling a batch of wine for that amount would not be worth it to me.

What Rocky said! You would end up saving a few dollars initially but after the fact is a different case. I would pitch all said additives. Check to see if the cleaner has any expiration date.

Latest posts

Back