making a fpac

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
things to remember

Ready? getting close to wine making season in September and October juices will be coming in from California and Italy are you ready?

Things to remember
, there are many tools for winemaking toolboxes I think a very important these three items are at the top of my list and they are things to remember.:i

Capitalization, is the process of adding sugar to unfermented grapes must in order to increase the alcohol content after fermentation. The technique was in and prevented by a French chemist from the name applies this process does not make the one sweeter but only artificially inflates the alcohol content. Actually, the sugar in capitalized wind cannot be tasted.:i

Potassium metabolic sulfite, is a common one or must attitude, where form sulfur dioxide gas so2. This both prevents most wild microorganisms from growing, and it acts as a potential intent oxidant, protecting both the color, and the delicate flavors of wine.:i

Typical dosage is 1/4 teaspoon potassium metabolic sulfate per 6 gallon bucket of must prior to fermentation, and 1/2 teaspoon per 6 gallon bucket at bottling. Winemaking equipment is sanitized by spraying with 1% solution.

Potassium sorbate, is used to inhibit molds, and yeast in one. Also known affectionately as wine stabilizer, potassium sorbate produces sorbate acid when added to wine. It serves two purposes. When active fermentation has ceased and the wind is rack for the final time after clearing, potassium sorbate will render any surviving yeast incapable of multiplying. He's living at that moment can continue fermenting any residual sugar into CO2 and alcohol, but when they die no disease will be present to cause future refermentation.when a wine is sweetened before bottling, sorbate is used to prevent refermentation when used in conjunction with potassium met bisulfite. it is primarily used with sweet wines, sparking wines and some hard ciders but may be added to table wines which exhibit difficulty in manintain9ing clarity after fining. :i

Last edited:
White grape fpac

HERE IS A FPAC YOU CAN MAKE LIKE THE PROS,THINK OF IT AS A COOKING LESSON WITH GRAPES AND FOLLOW THE THOUGHT PATTERN YOU CAN USE IT AT THE READY OR FREEZE IT FOR LATTER.QUICK AND READILY AVAILABLE AT ANY FOOD MARKET.:mny
WHAT YOU'LL SEE HERE IS THE BEGINNING OF THE PROCESS WASHING ,DE-STEMMING AND SAUTÉING DOWN OF THE GRAPES,BY THE WAY THE WINE WAS LONE STAR LORI A COASTAL WHITE VERY CLEAN AND REFRESHING SO I DRANK THE 375, AS WELL AS SHARED IT WITH MY GRAPES THEY ALSO APPRECIATED IT I'M SURE,THANKS LORI ANOTHER GREAT PIECE OF WINE MAKING.
IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT THE WINE MANUFACTURES AREN'T MUCH DIFFERENT FROM US ,THEY PLAN ,CONTROL AND ORGANIZE THEIR METHODS AND THEN ,EXECUTE ERROR,DON'T BE AFRAID ...THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX....:b

IMG_20140828_153241482.jpg

IMG_20140828_153253893.jpg

IMG_20140828_154001898.jpg

IMG_20140828_154018663.jpg

IMG_20140828_154650295_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140828_154857041.jpg

IMG_20140828_154926898.jpg

IMG_20140828_155330822.jpg

IMG_20140828_155521392.jpg

IMG_20140828_155702046.jpg

Last edited:
Thompson seedlss grape fpac continued

FOLLOW THE WHOLE PROCESS........:wyOrder of Pictures for F-Pak:
WASH GRAPES
DE-STEM
PLACE IN SAUTÉ PAN ON LOW HEAT
ADD A 1/3 CUP WHITE WINE (ANY TYPE)
HEAT GRAPES UNTIL THEY BECOME SOFT GENTLY SMASH THEM DOWN WHILE THEIR COOKING (ABOUT 10 MINS)
THEN YOU'LL SEE THEM START TO REDUCE THE LIQUID,YOU'LL FEEL THEM START TO GET MUSHY
STOP THE COOKING AND LET THEM COOL,ONCE COOL ENOUGH PLACE THEM EITHER IN ZIP TIGHT FREEZER BAGS OR VACUUM SEAL LIKE I DID IF YOU HAVE ONE,DATE AND PLACE THEM IN THE FREEZER FOR LATER SO THAT YOUR READY WHEN THE TIME COMES OR IF YOUR READY NOW AND YOU PLANNED OUT THIS EFFORT THE LET THEM COOL JUST A LITTLE AND PLACE THEM EITHER IN PAINTERS BAGS OR ALLOW THEM TO FLOAT FREELY IN THE WINE PRIMARY.OR IF YOUR PLAN IS TO USE THEM IN THE PRIMARY BY ALL MEANS DO SO,PLAN YOUR WORK AND THEN WORK YOUR PLAN.:h

IMG_20140828_160402629.jpg

IMG_20140828_160533106.jpg

IMG_20140828_160757417.jpg

Last edited:
I'll never use Everclear again! YUCK!! I tried to make my coffee extract with it, and while it did a fine job of extracting the essential oils and flavors, the final product was absolutely disgusting. I threw it all away and make a new batch with a reasonably good 80 proof Vodka. The end result is SOOOOOO much better!! I have no reservations about using it in a port kit I'm making.

everkleer?????????

what was your process and what was your base as apposed to simple syrup? If done in balance the everkleer becomes muted.:?:?:?:?

Grape packs

NOW THAT WINE MAKING SEASON IS HERE AGAIN ,NOT THAT IT EVER GOES AWAY,TRY THISThompson seedlss grape fpac continued
FOLLOW THE WHOLE PROCESS........:wyOrder of Pictures for F-Pak:
WASH GRAPES
DE-STEM
PLACE IN SAUTÉ PAN ON LOW HEAT
ADD A 1/3 CUP WHITE WINE (ANY TYPE)
HEAT GRAPES UNTIL THEY BECOME SOFT GENTLY SMASH THEM DOWN WHILE THEIR COOKING (ABOUT 10 MINS)
THEN YOU'LL SEE THEM START TO REDUCE THE LIQUID,YOU'LL FEEL THEM START TO GET MUSHY
STOP THE COOKING AND LET THEM COOL,ONCE COOL ENOUGH PLACE THEM EITHER IN ZIP TIGHT FREEZER BAGS OR VACUUM SEAL LIKE I DID IF YOU HAVE ONE,DATE AND PLACE THEM IN THE FREEZER FOR LATER SO THAT YOUR READY WHEN THE TIME COMES OR IF YOUR READY NOW AND YOU PLANNED OUT THIS EFFORT THE LET THEM COOL JUST A LITTLE AND PLACE THEM EITHER IN PAINTERS BAGS OR ALLOW THEM TO FLOAT FREELY IN THE WINE PRIMARY.OR IF YOUR PLAN IS TO USE THEM IN THE PRIMARY BY ALL MEANS DO SO,PLAN YOUR WORK AND THEN WORK YOUR PLAN

IMG_20140828_153241482.jpg

IMG_20140828_154001898.jpg

IMG_20140828_154703540.jpg

IMG_20140828_154929825.jpg

IMG_20140828_155538015.jpg

IMG_20140828_155702046.jpg

IMG_20140828_160402629.jpg

IMG_20140828_160535417.jpg

IMG_20140828_160757417.jpg

I thought I'd post my progress of my 2 pinot noirs. As mentioned earlier in this post, I have taken Joe's f-pak lessons and applied it(blackberries) to 2 identical pinot noirs. The 1st one I added the f-pak to the primary the 2nd to the secondary.July 17-Both starting SG were very close to same(1.096 & 1.100).July 27 I racked the 2nd one,SG .996, added sorbate and f-pak.July 30th racked the 1st one off f-pak.Racked 2nd off f-pak on Aug.9.
They've both had k-meta added to them and have been bulk aging since.
Taste- the 1st one that had it added in primary has a smoother taste with an aftertaste of balackberry.
the 2nd has blackberry more upfront and has a bit of a bite.
More aging on both will give a more accurate tasting.
Overall, as Joe has said it depends on if you want the taste upfront or not.
Thanks Joe with your help on this!

Chardenay

this is kates chardonnay inexpensive kit that when tweaked worked out great we used grapefruit zest in this one to kit up the fruit acidity ,follow the flow.................................:try

2 box.jpg

1 contents.jpg

3 bentonite.jpg

4 add juice.jpg

5 rinse bag.jpg

7 first SG reading.jpg

8 add simple syrup.jpg

10 instructions SG reading.jpg

11 yeast.jpg

12 cup american oak cubes.jpg

fpacs

There is know limit to the variety of fpacs you can make and store for later use, next I will make a pomegranate fpac and apply it to a zinfandel island mist kit also I will make a concord grape fpac for use later.... stay tuned.............:wy

IMG_20141023_155353808.jpg

IMG_20141023_155414084_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141023_155518703.jpg

IMG_20141023_155552356.jpg

Last edited:
Concord fpac

CONCORD FPAC ,THIS ONE YOU SLOW SIMMER ON LOW FLAME ,FOLLOW THE FPAC PROCESS ON THIS ONE IT IS FABULOUS WHEN FINISHED IN AROMA AND TASTE ,WHAT CAN YOU USE THIS FOR ADDING TO A VIOGNIER OR A SHARAZ OR EVEN A TASTE TREAT FOR A CAB...............THINK OUT SIDE THE BOX..................................................:br

IMG_20141103_140843710_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141023_155518703.jpg

IMG_20141023_155555146.jpg

Joe I made a pomegranate wine about a month ago and realize I probably should have saved some of the seeds for an fpac, but I didn't. I was thinking of buying some Pom Wonderful (which unlike some is 100% pomegranate juice) and reducing it down over low heat to use as an fpac. Do you think that would work?

pomegranate fpac

thig......................yes, very much so pom is the tastiest pom juice out there ,do it after the secondary place the volume of what you made in a mixing pail and add to taste stir vigorously cover and let sit over night be ready to bottle, taste and see if that's what you want, then you decide .......it also may take a little longer to become it's own do to the fact of entering a outside component but a little time in the bottle never hurt in the long run,,,,:db

IMG_20141023_155417384_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
winter is setting in for use in the northeast of the states,,,,,,,did you make fpacs to work with through the cold months??????????????:tryfollow one of the processes.......................:pic

1 rinse berries.jpg

2 add to the pan.jpg

3 add juice.jpg

4 change colors.jpg

5 add a lid for a few mins.jpg

6 change colors and smoosh.jpg

7 more cooked down.jpg

8 finished f pak.jpg

9  Add to bag.jpg

On the pomegranate note, has anyone used the POM brand pomegranate juices? How did it turn out?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

pomegranate fpac

:brTHERE is a brand called POM,pomegranate juice I would use that install that 1 month before bottling it should also do the trick, although making a fpac is easy and more flavorful, it has a deeper taste of the fruit in it after it's completed no artificial taste ,know what I mean?.............................:d

cellos

cellos are a nice way to end a hollow Espresso Chello
What we used:
9 cups espresso (this is your base) (1 ball jar)
½ ball jar simple syrup
½ ball jar coffee bean extract
½ cup everclear
What to do:
Add your base (all the espresso, dump in the pot.)
Next , add the coffee bean extract (little at a time, to taste).
Then, add simple syrup to taste, a little at a time.
The, taste to see if the alch. Is good. Most likely, it will need more.
Add everclear to taste, make sure to not put too much that it overpowers.
Once you are happy with the results, pour back into (2) clean ball jars and put the lids back on. It should sit a day or so to blend. Then you are ready for bottling.
Espresso Cello
:re note: the picture reads 12 cups it should have read 9 cups.

1 Our Espresso base.jpg

2 add coffee bean extract slowly.jpg

IMG_20141010_143752277_HDR.jpg

4 stir up good.jpg

5 add a little more extract to taste.jpg

6 then add simple syrup to taste.jpg

7add more everclear to taste.jpg

IMG_20141010_143748806_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Zesting in the beggining

this is the time of the year for gift giving and what better gift to give then something you yourself have made. Follow ZESTING FOR THE FLAVOR OF IT.................:HB
Making Extracts​
All recipes are measured out with one quart Ball Jar.​
Citrus Extract: Consists of The zest of 2 limes, the zest of 2 lemons, and the zest of 2 grapefruits, and the remainder is ever Kleer.
Coffee Extract: fill Ball jar up with roasted coffee beans (your choice), fill the balance of the Ball jar with Ever Kleer.
Cinnemon Extract- ~approx. 12 sticks per Ball jar, top up with Ever Kleer
Lemon extract- The Zest of 12 lemons per jar, top up with Ever Kleer
Orange extract: The zest of approx.. 8 oranges per jar. Valenzia oranges work best but any type will do.
Key Lime Extract: 1 bag of key limes with the limes cut in half.
Vanilla Extract: 6 Madagascar Vanilla Beans, sliced length wise. Put all 6 in a ball jar and top off with Ever Kleer.
At the end of one full year its best to pour the extract through some sort of filter (I strain mine through a coffee filter) and add some additional zest of the same type back to it and top it off with Ever Kleer.
Making Simple Syrup​
Basic mix consists of : 2 qt. ball jars of cane sugar to 1 qt. ball jar of water.
Process:
Place measured out sugar into a metal pot. Add the water to the mix (It’s a 2 to 1 ratio-mix). Bring the mixture to a boil, constantly stirring from the beginning of the process to the end until the liquid is clear. Have the ball jars already sanitized and ready for filling. Bring the simple syrup TO the jar and and funnel it into them (make sure your funnel is clean, too!) to fill them up. It will be hot so be very careful. Place the lids and metal rings onto the jars to seal them.
Note: we put the very hot liquid into the jars while it is hot so as it cools it creates a vacuum seal to keep the mixture good. Done this way, your simple syrup will have a very long shelf life.
Zesting Made Simple​
Zesting is the process of the removal of the color of most citrus fruits and other entities that are oil extracted (for their essence). We use a micro plane zester to accomplish our end. See pictures. (If you do not have a micro plane zester you can use a fine cheese grater (Your goal is to get the color off the fruit, not the pitch, which is the "white stuff" underneath the very top layer of the fruit.)

P1030101.jpg

P1030102.jpg

P1030115.jpg

P1030103.jpg

P1030106.jpg

P1030112.jpg

P1030111.jpg

P1030121.jpg

P1030109.jpg

Latest posts

Back