Is it clear?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keahunter

Reaction score
Hi! I'm making a Mosti Mondiale kit (my first) and the instructions say after adding the clearing agents to wait 7-10 days before bottling but to not bottle if not clear. How can I tell if it's clear? It's a dark red and when I put a flashlight to it I can't see through. Should I rack to another carboy to see if it's clear? Take a sample? I didn't want to rack it unnecessarily. I'm at the 10 day mark now.

I would wait. There is a change you have not properly degassed your wine. If you have not got the gas out it won't clear. You should be able to see a strong flashlight thru the carboy, (but with a hi end kit just barely). I would try degassing again. And wait another ten days and check again. Remember time is you friend.

Take a sample and raise it to the sky. After you've determined bottle readiness clarity, drink the sample and give some thought to bulk aging. I may have read on this forum that some use laser light to determining red clarity.

BC

Thank you for your suggestions! I just took a sample...not sure that it's super clear yet so I'll let it sit in the carboy for a little longer. I may try to degass again...i didn't see any bubbles when I took the sample but it did have a ...i don't know...tingle on my tongue...so maybe that's why. Thank you again!

An easy way to tell, If you put a sample in your hydrometer tube and cover the top with your palm and shake, when you let off if it burps, you've got gas.

The flashlight technique has not worked for me with the two kit reds I've made. The light simply did not shine through even though the wine when put in a glass showed clear. However, the technique has worked with the two whites and one blush I've made.

The flash light in a red will light up the whole carboy if not clear. Pretty, but not clear.

Back