What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pics, but it was steak night. Found a vac sealed ribeye in the back of the freezer. Put that, along with one of the filets I got the other day into the SV at 131 for about 90 minutes, then seared over a high flaming grill. Did a chicken breast for the boys and also some 'gus. Caesar salad and tots to top it off. No pics, so it never happened.

1588381179397.png

Yea, that brisket was stubborn. I got it to 190 by 630PM and stuck a fork in it. Cut it in half and split things up and took it over to our BFF's and dropped off. Brisket needed about another hour maybe but not a bad attempt. I wish I had gotten ahold of it before 9AM but it was not dropped off until then. I had the fire ready and going which helped.

fullsizeoutput_3f96.jpegIMG_5298.JPG

Yea, that brisket was stubborn. I got it to 190 by 630PM and stuck a fork in it. Cut it in half and split things up and took it over to our BFF's and dropped off. Brisket needed about another hour maybe but not a bad attempt. I wish I had gotten ahold of it before 9AM but it was not dropped off until then. I had the fire ready and going which helped.

Sometimes it’s a bear to get through that breakdown phase, some briskets are just stubborn. Bummer you had to pull it at 190, that last 13° makes a difference....

Been smoking pork butts, ribs (beef and pork), Beef Tenderloin, venison, and brisket for many years on my offset smoker. Put it away in the fall and bring it back out in late spring. Before I put it away I smoke a couple of everything a
cut it up or pull it and freeze for the winter. The brisket I found I like doing an Atlanta Brisket (google recipe). It’s done in 3 hours and always fall apart tender. As much as I like smoked meat this is my go ahead for brisket except for homemade pastrami

Yea, I hated to wrap in foil on top of the butcher paper but it might still be cooking without. I usually like to tighten up the bark a little after but no time for that either. After we took the meat to our BFF's place (30mile RT up in town) and got back home I was too tired to eat. We just cleaned up the kitchen and will warm up some leftovers today and probably tomorrow. Leftovers will go in the freezer for another day. Smoked meats do not go bad in this house.

Sometimes it’s a bear to get through that breakdown phase, some briskets are just stubborn. Bummer you had to pull it at 190, that last 13° makes a difference....

Talking about brisket.....for a moment I thought about starting this AM at 10am or so and try the fast and furious method (lol, hot and fast) but decided to stick to my plan and start late tonight to hopefully be ready no later than 2pm tomorrow.

Checked on the brisket and it did thaw in the fridge, although very cold but soft enough to add rub, but I will start trimming later this afternoon instead, the plan is to kick it off as late as possible tonight.

You can thaw a lot faster (and safe) by filling your kitchen sink with COLD water and letting it sit for a couple hours. (in the cryovac package of course)

What is the diameter of your Weber?

You can thaw a lot faster (and safe) by filling your kitchen sink with COLD water and letting it sit for a couple hours. (in the cryovac package of course)

What is the diameter of your Weber?

yeah, but decided I wanted to that it slowly in the fridge.
Weber is the 22" Performer. This is a small brisket, about 12lbs.

Did some bacon cheeseburgers for lunch using some ground chuck I just bought from a local butcher, very good but their price has inflated to $4.49/lb (was $2.99/lb two months ago). Either way it is really good quality beef, but I didn't get done making lunch until almost 2 pm. Threw the lit coals that were left out of the baskets and built a charcoal snake (or a sneak as Varis calls it) and added the 7 lb turkey breast. Found some applewood chunks and a few cherry pellets and incorporated them into the sneak or I mean snake. Was worried about it getting done on time but the grill ran around 275*F because of the warmer day (low 70's). Got done at 5:40 and rested for 25 minutes. Was incredibly juicy and I can still smell a hint of applewood when I venture upstairs for another beer.

Tomorrow now looks like it will be rain free (changes every three hours or so), so thick pork chops are on deck. Pizza will wait until the next rainy day.

5-2-20_turkey-1.jpg

5-2-20_turkey-2.jpg

5-2-20_turkey-3.jpg

The grill temp has dropped to the 190s but it’s been consistent at this range, both vents are almost closed and I think I’m going to let it ride this way until early AM so I have piece of mind of not getting it too high or just too low.

54C2EFB9-17DD-4CF4-82CE-716FF6F79A3F.png

Latest posts

Back